To Suphanburi: circumventing Bangkok - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

December 10, 2006

To Suphanburi: circumventing Bangkok

We leave Kanchanaburi while it is still dark. It was a bit of a chore to get the bikes out of the bungalow, down the stairs then along the elevated walkway to the riverbank and up some stairs to the road level. We have "a system" though and we are on our way quickly riding Northeast along a fairly large road with not much traffic, starting our circumventing of Bangkok.

The road is flat all the way, the wind makes us work for it though and the last hours are very hot. We make regular stops at gas stations, a 7-11 and fruit vendors by the side of the road selling pineapple. Suphanburi seems like just a junction of several roads with stacks of concrete business/apartment units lining the streets. Patrick asks for directions to a hotel and it turns out to be right behind the concrete wall of buildings we are standing by. It's a huge 7 story box with no sign to identify it and looks very expensive with a huge lobby with marble stairs. The staff is friendly and for 700 baht we can get a nice AC room with hot shower, king sized bed, fridge and TV that has Star Channel. Sold!

We roll the bikes right through the lobby into the elevator and up to the fourth floor. Patrick goes shopping for beer and chips while Rachel cleans up. The afternoon is spent watching three movies: Back to the Future I, the Rocketeer and a Dirk Pitt adventure movie that was so unrealistic it was actually entertaining. When out on the road all day, it's nice to have a retreat.

At about 7, we have dinner in the hotel restaurant with live music entertainment.

Proof men will ask for directions
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 97 km (60 miles)
Total: 2,830 km (1,757 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0