To Squanga Lake: another Yukon CG - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 6, 2007

To Squanga Lake: another Yukon CG

Cloudy again this morning. We have a headwind as we follow Marsh Lake Eastwards. The road climbs and descents rolling hills that make us go down to our granny gears regularly...you know the kind, not enough momentum on the downhill to get up the next hill. We have 38 km to Jake's corner, a gas station at the junction to Lake Atkin.

We keep going for Watson Lake though, another 28km to the next Yukon government campground. We like the wooded sites, the free firewood, kitchen shelter and bear "proof" garbage bins that we can use to store our food rather than in a tree. And all this for $12 a night, much less than the RV parks. Only thing missing is the shower. 

The sky is filling up with darker clouds, we expect rain. Just before we reach the campground Rachel spots a bald eagle in a tree along the lake. Patrick spots a treasure at the side of the road an 8 inch fly fishing pole, including a tackle box... All still in the original wrapping. Too bad it's only a two piece rod, too long to carry on the bike and the reel is all plastic, made in China...At the campground Patrick gives it to a family with a bunch of kids.

We quickly pitch the tent, start a fire and eat a nice ham sandwich with a cup of tomato soup. We burn the fire all afternoon, just before we start cooking our evening meal, it starts to rain. Rachel still fixes the fried onion with broccoli and slices of steak, together with macaroni and cheese sauce that we eat in the vestibule of our tent. The kitchen shelter is covered with bat and bird poop, not very inviting place to cook or eat. We wait a long time for a break in the rain so we can do our dishes.

Just as we start heating up some water another rainstorm passes. We crank up the fire, finish the dishes, dry out a bit and head for the tent.

Let's hope the storm blows over tonight.

Patrick finds a treasure, a fishing pole
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 11,928 km (7,407 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0