To Satun Thailand: border crossing - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

November 15, 2006

To Satun Thailand: border crossing

After breakfast of cornflakes, bananas and boxed milk, we roll our bikes out the door and we head to Thailand.

Patrick isn't feeling well, tail end of a cold from the ferry ride into Malaysia. The road is good, the wind is good to us and we make good time, stopping at gas stations for 100 plus drinks and chocolate bars. The time will change again, gaining an hour once in Thailand.

We reach K. Perlis at 1030. When at the junction to the ferry we see our first cyclists, a couple come over to talk. They are Dutch on a 3 week trip from Puket to Penang. Patrick takes some information from their Dutch Bike tour Book for around Trang.

First we reach the ferry terminal for Langkawi Island. Patrick says to people at the side of the road "Thailand" and they point us straight on. We get to a large complex of buildings labelled in zones. Big pavilions with fishermen sorting their catch of the day.

Again Patrick asks a man "Thailand", he says "Zone B" and points to a building. We start to ride toward it, he says "No" and points us through a gate. We get to steps, Patrick circles around, Rachel following to the other end of the compound. Again asks someone sitting at the table "Thailand?" "Immigration" They point again to the other end and say Zone B.

We cycle back through the gate and toward the building Zone B and to the end of the road a building with men sitting on a bench. Patrick asks "Immigration?" They point to the building; the same building others have pointed to. 

We just don't know how to get to it. 

 Finally, we are pointed back through the gate, an official comes out of the checkpoint building (where was he before we went through?) And points to Zone B building. We go back to the steps, get up on the platform and go to the riverside of the building--Zone B. We go to the end and find the immigration office--we finally get our exit stamp from Malaysia in our passports.

One hurdle done. 

Then, "Ferry to Thailand?" "Here, every ten minutes." Forty five minutes later, the long boat to Thailand moves to the ladder off the dock. We have the packs off the bike already. Bikes are passed down to the boat workers and laid flat on the back of the boat. Patrick hands the bags down, then we descend to the boat. We have to get to the "cabin" where we will sit for the ride, by walking along the edge of the side of the boat.

Then we are off and 45 minutes later we are in Thailand.

The bikes and gear are quickly carried off by the boat workers. Patrick pays $30M for the ride, there is no formal charge for the bikes, but Patrick gives him $10M extra. Always a good thing for the next cyclists who comes by here. Bikes reloaded and we head to immigration. We are the only ones, how different from the chaos in Medan and Penang!! Our passports are stamped we have two months and given our departure cards to keep in the passports.

There is a small table with "Customs" with no one there; we turn the corner and there are counters for luggage, no one is there; we keep going no one stops us, we are out of the terminal. We are in Thailand!

Patrick exchanges the Malaysian Ringgit for Baht's.

We ride to Satun, try two hotels recommended by LP, the first didn't look so good from the outside and we continued onto the second one but couldn't find it. We find the Sinkiat Thani Hotel and check in, bikes up in the elevator, bags placed on a rack and pushed up by Hotel Staff.

Hot showers!! BBC on TV!!

Patrick rests, we arrived hungry and before settling into the room, have lunch next door. Rachel goes to shop for cold drinks, and milk for breakfast. We are on the 6th floor and have a great view of the city and looks like a storm coming in. At 6pm we go to the night market and have shrimp pad thai and an egg-mussel dish for only 85Bt (40Bt = 1 USD). Followed up with two magnum ice cream bars for 70Bt.

We are going to like Thailand.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dutch cyclist on a 3 week trip. We exchange information.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trying to find Zone B and the ferry to Thailand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finally got to Zone B.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick readying the bikes to load on the ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking on the side of the boat to get to the cabin.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading to Thailand
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passport control...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our hotel room
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from our Hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Night market for dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,459 km (906 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0