To Phang Nga: Thanksgiving, no turkey - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

November 23, 2006

To Phang Nga: Thanksgiving, no turkey

It's almost serene when we roll our bikes from the bungalow and set off back to highway 4. We see several beautiful karst mountains and some Buddhist monks. It's a short day again today, and good because it gets hot quickly.

We leave Highway 4 for a smaller road that cuts off a loop and is actually a shortcut to Phang Nga, our destination today. It also turns out to be a shortcut for traffic coming from the east coast and headed for Phuket, the traffic reminds us of Indonesia. So even though our Michelin map has a green line indicating this is a scenic road, it's not that pretty and certainly disappointing to cycle.

We get to Phang Nga before lunch time. When we stop to get our bearings, a guy comes from a travel agency, points us to the Guesthouse we are looking for, and gives us a flyer of the bay tours he offers. One stop shopping!

The Phang Nga Guesthouse is run by his daughter, the rooms are small but clean, there is a small TV with a few English language stations. Only bad thing are the beds: hard and the frame keeps sagging in the middle. But the shower is cold, the fan works, and the TV has the "Real Madrid" station showing football (Soccer). We have lunch of really good pad thai and book a tour for tomorrow at Mr. J, the guy we saw earlier. We compared some other agencies and they were all about the same, so we go with him.

In the evening we walk quite a ways back to the night market but there is not much food and no place to sit and eat. Instead, we find a sidewalk place near the bus station for a very nice noodle soup with pork and vegetables. We also run into Kirsten and Michael again, they are in the same guesthouse.

Today, back home is Thanksgiving...we did not have turkey today.

first pic of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 km (32 miles)
Total: 1,835 km (1,140 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0