To Mt. Robson: Robson Meadow Campground - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2007

To Mt. Robson: Robson Meadow Campground

Another grey morning, but as we ride East the clouds dissolve and we see some mountains around us. There are a lot of hay farms in the valley, large rolls of hay are waiting to be hauled from the fields.

We leave camp early and our hope is for a second large cooked breakfast at the resort about 45km up the road. When we arrive at 10:15, we are told the kitchen isn't open this time of year. So we eat a sandwich and head on. At the junction to Kamloops we choose the left road, heading for Jasper.

A few kilometers further is a waterfall in the Fraser River. Signs explain that this is as far as the pacific salmon can get upstream. A little beyond that is the Mt. Terry Fox pull out. This mountain is named in honor of a Canadian who lost his leg to bone cancer and attempted to run across Canada. He died from the cancer before he made it all the way but became a Canadian "hero" and raised a lot of money for cancer research.

Another 10km brings us to Mt. Robson, the highest mountain in the Canadian Rockies. It's a beautiful sight, standing by itself, horizontal ridges on the face and snow and ice on its summit. We seek out a site in the campground, eat and relax for a while. Later we walk to the visitor center for some information on a day hike we plan to do tomorrow. We buy and take out a green salad and a fruit salad at the restaurant to take back to camp and eat with our beef stroganoff meal.

Clouds have moved in again this afternoon, the peak is no longer visible. It gets dark early now.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 13,862 km (8,608 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0