To Mendenhall Landing: Takhini River - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2007

To Mendenhall Landing: Takhini River

A beautiful blue sky greets us this morning, yet as usual, the tent is soaking wet from the dew. We pack up, eat a bowl of cereal, a litre of chocolate milk and leave the campground. We turn left at the junction to head for Whitehorse, about 100km. 

On the outskirt of town, we have some coffee at the gas station and see the "other" campground that looks like a parking lot. We gradually climb away from Haines Junction, nice views of the Kluane Range behind us. A couple, Judy and Gary Dinsmore, on a self-built recumbent bike catches up with us. They are from Portland OR, retired and now living in their RV. He built the bike himself with two small wheels, the front rider propels the front wheel, the rear rider the rear wheel. Each has their own derailleur and can therefore pick his/her own cadence. Very nice design. 

We have our first lunch at the site of a historic bridge, then ride on a bit to a roadhouse where we buy some cokes for tonight. We are still too close to Haines Junction and too far from Whitehorse to camp here. It's another 120 km and there are no more campgrounds listed. At the information center we are advised to camp at the Mendenhall River, just about halfway. 

So that's our goal.

We make good time on the slowly rising and descending road and reach the river crossing at about 3:30. There is a pull out but it's very close to the road and would not make for a good night sleep. We dry our tent and decide to continue to a Swiss run B & B about 10km further. They don't advertise camping, and we find out that they don't want us camping in their yard. 

The guy does advise us to turn at the Kusana road and instead of heading all 15km into the Yukon government campground, camp at the "landing" site. So that's what we do, we camp in a small pine forest along the Takhini River. During the Goldrush years, goods from Whitehorse were shipped down the Yukon and then up the Takhini to this location before going overland to Kluane Lake. The river flows fast and is deep, the water crystal clear. We eat mashed potatoes, baked beans and pork chops that Rachel pre-cooked yesterday. A can of peaches and some yogurt for dessert.

Tomorrow to Whitehorse.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 96 km (60 miles)
Total: 11,738 km (7,289 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0