To Lake Creek Campground: rear tire blowout - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 29, 2007

To Lake Creek Campground: rear tire blowout

Today for breakfast we go to the Westmark Restaurant buffet...and take away in Rachel's handlebar bag 2 slices of thick honey ham, 2 muffins and 2 apple strudel pastries.

The big event of the day is Patrick blowing out his rear tire. He fixes it with a US dollar and Nepal Rupee and changes it to the front wheel. We carried 4 extra tires all through Asia and decided we didn't need an extra one now in USA and Canada...murphy's law strikes.

Along the road today we see a moose and a coyote. There are lots of lakes, the sky is overcast, and distant mountains are obscured, only a few places in the road are gravel. At lunchtime we arrive at the White River campground, it's closed until 2pm so we eat a ham sandwich, dry the tent and continue on. The parking lot is full of old time vehicles and there are a lot of unfriendly signs posted. The next stop just down the road is another gas station, a gift shop that looks like its been there since the building of the Alcan Highways. Patrick checks if old tires in the area around the building to replace his tire, but they are too old and crumbly.

We reach the campground around 4 pm, have coffee and apple pastries. Patrick fixes the inner tube from today and builds a fire. Then it starts to downpour as we seek shelter in the tent. After an hour or so we make a break for the camp shelter as the rain lighten to fix dinner. Other campers are there and have a fire going in the big iron stove in the middle of the shelter, we visit awhile the rain stops and they go for a walk. We eat, get cleaned up and back in the tent when the rain starts again.

Today is a year ago when we lost Tambala.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A treasure for Patrick to tack in place in the garage
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tires are too old and brittle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tambala
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 11,423 km (7,094 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0