To Krabi: back to the mainland - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

November 21, 2006

To Krabi: back to the mainland

There will be a boat to Krabi from the Saladan pier at 8am this morning. We have our cornflakes with banana and cold! milk and head out at about a quarter to seven. It's only about 5 flat kilometers to the town at the northern end of the island so we get there early. A good sized boat is at the pier and there is a gangplank! No hauling bags and bikes down a concrete wall, just roll the bikes on fully loaded and head back on shore for a nice cup of coffee.

Just before we leave there appears to be a problem with our ticket and we have to pay an extra 100 baht for the bikes, but then we are off. Most of the other passengers, if not all, are beach going backpackers and start applying sunscreen and stay on the deck. We get ourselves the "exit-row" inside the AC cabin. The difference from when out in the environment cycling all day and a backpacker that uses public transportation from one destination to another separated from the environment.

The views are very nice, especially on the last part of the trip; large vertical rock faces rise from the ocean, jungle on the non vertical faces and white beaches with palm trees where the island meets the water. In Krabi we are the first ones off the boat because the gangplank terminates right at the little gate where we parked our bikes against. We ride down the concrete jetty and about 5km into town.

Patrick rolled his bike off to get out of the way, while Rachel hung back a little so some of the passengers could get off. They waved her on and left a space for her to pass. Just before docking, the Scotsman and German woman who spoke to us on the summit across Ko Lanta talked with us again.

We are not sure which road we are coming in on, as usual Patrick with seemingly ease, navigates to the hotel. It's about 10 am, Patrick looks at the room. We will need to wait for it to be cleaned as more and more backpackers arrive. We think the hotel fills up fast. Even better the bikes can be rolled into the room with only a few steps up to the porch. A room where there are no stairs to shuttle up gear and bikes is the best to a cyclist!

But wait...soon the manager arrives, she starts talking to us from across the garden "I told you when you check in, no bikes in the room." Patrick is very diplomatic says "I appreciate you want to keep the place clean." Rachel adds, a little less diplomatically "are the bikes going to be safe if outside?" In the end the bikes are locked on the porch.

Usual routine, quickly clean up and we are out to explore and find a place to eat lunch. We find a place, May and Mark and indeed they know how to make good bread. We bought supplies at the supermarket, checked internet, Patrick finished his book, Rachel sent two postcards, one to her mother another one to friend, Laura in Missoula (sending postcards is a tradition for Rachel). We walk along the river, try to exchange a book but didn't because we are offered only 30 bt for our books. For dinner we had fried mussels and shrimp pad thai at the night market along with chicken satay with peanut sauce.

A good day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Ferry back to the mainland
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 11 km (7 miles)
Total: 1,736 km (1,078 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0