To Khuraburi: lots of spirit houses - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

November 26, 2006

To Khuraburi: lots of spirit houses

Another early start, it's still dark as we head down the road. There is a lot of evidence of the post-tsunami recovery. We see several sites with new houses/bungalows and signs of aid agencies.

The road starts flat and stays that way for most of the way. We get to our destination at around noon and go looking for the bungalows "across the river". We find some but there are no people to be seen. We cross the river bridge back into town and this time see the sign with "Tamarin" and a lot of Thai letters. The place is nice, a brick bungalow with AC and even a warm shower.

After cleaning up, we walk into town for some pad thai. After an afternoon lazing and reading we repeat this for our evening meal. The night market has started and we find some sates, fried chicken and the sit down for a meal. Patrick enjoys an excellent Tom Yum, a seafood soup with white rice, Rachel noodles and chicken.

In the market is a small store that sells small souvenirs made by tsunami survivors. Rachel buys some cloth belts and incense. There are quite a few muzungu's in town, most pass through on their way to the Surin Islands, a world class diving destination. We spend an hour in an internet place to add captions to the Sumatra and Malaysia pictures that Nathan has received and posted on picasaweb site (no longer available)

We have figured out a schedule to Bangkok and sent emails to Krasin and Marcel. We plan to stay a couple of days with Krasin. Marcel Canters brought our supply package of new bike parts from Holland. Tomorrow will be a long day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 1,977 km (1,228 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0