To Ketapang Java: It's Ramadan - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2006

To Ketapang Java: It's Ramadan

"It's Ramadan" Rachel say.

As we get close to Gilimanuk, we go through a National Park and see monkeys along the side of the road. There are banners across the road announcing "Ramadan" and we see more mosques, and through out the day shops are closed. Then Patrick spots a restaurant open, the lady says she is Christian and that is why she is open. Muslims fast during the day during Ramadan, dawn to sunset. We have Mie Goreng and Cokes, then ride on to catch the ferry to Java.

We are up at 7am and packed within 20 minutes, we have established a routine of eating cornflakes and bananas because it's too early for the hotel breakfast. We will end the day in Java.

Patrick finds the terminal, he always seems to know where to go. The terminal is huge yet vacant, what appears as checkpoints or ticket collectors are empty. We finally get to a point where we buy tickets and are waved onto the ferry. Just as all the traffic on the roads seem to be all in a rush, we are waved to go on quickly, leaning our bikes at the front of the ferry, then wait 20 minutes while the rest of the ferry is loaded.

Finally we are on our way to Java! Rachel stays with the bikes as Patrick moves around the ferry to take pictures. Rachel finds a bumper of a truck to sit on, her left knee elevated because it is swollen and tight, a bit worrisome.

The ferry takes 50 minutes to cross the Bali strait. During the crossing, workers in blue jumpsuits with ferry logos are on top of one truck, soon they had skimmed off 3 bags of fish. Patrick also saw the workers place big plastic containers (Fuel?) into trucks, he thinks maybe siphoned off from the ferry. Reaching Java, we ride a few kms to Hotel Ketapang Indah, turns out to be a posh resort. The traffic seems the same as Bali on first impression.

We hear the call to prayer from a mosque near our hotel.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Early morning, kids still riding bikes to school
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ferry across the Bali Strait to Java
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Ketapang.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 284 km (176 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0