To Icefield Parkway: Rampart "Ferme" Creek Campground - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2007

To Icefield Parkway: Rampart "Ferme" Creek Campground

"At least it's not raining", Patrick says as we start off from the Icefield Center in the beginning of a snow storm. At least we also have a tailwind. The ride from the campground is a steady climb following the Sunwapta River, then became steeper to the Center, the wind is cold.

We have lunch huddled behind a sign, then set off for the last 5km to the Summit of Sunwapta Pass (2030meters) Then the descent, sometimes 8% grade, the snow turns to a stinging sleet and as we drop lower turns to rain. The mountains are not very visible in the clouds and rain. We had met two Australian travelers, cyclists going north just before the summit. They were really only cycling the Icefield Parkway and just as we left the center a German cyclist joined us for only a few km, he stopped at the summit to add warm clothes, he was cycling bare legged. He caught up with and passed us, he wants to go further than us today.

About 1:30pm we reach the Rampart Creek campground, also officially closed, this one is further from the road, and past the barriers we find a shelter. 

It's pouring rain!! And cold!! 

Being Dutch, Patrick moves the furniture in the shelter to make room for our tent. He scrounges up enough dry wood that is piled up outside the shelter to start a fire. Hot coffee and hot soup and a change of clothes helps warm us up.

The campground is in a beautiful spot and after 3pm the rain lightens then stops and the sun comes out. Patrick strings a clothesline to dry out clothes and sleeping bag. Looks like another storm will hit us....and it does, but only sprinkles a little bit. The fire is keeping us warm. Dinner of spaghetti and meatballs, corn and cookies hits the spot.

We relax and read by the fire.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 14,129 km (8,774 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0