To Hotsping near Eryuan: Bump head with care - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

March 22, 2007

To Hotsping near Eryuan: Bump head with care

The extra gear that we now have again makes our bikes feel heavy this morning. Patrick is carrying the tent now, plus our cooking gear. Rachel has the purple backpack (Rachel bought in 1992 in NZ on here solo tour) with two spare tires, plus an additional sleeping bag, we had been carrying only one bag. We worked on the bikes yesterday, Rachel has two new tires, one rear to replace the 28mm we've had since Bali, and a new front tire because hers had a weak spot in the side wall.

We ride into Old Dali to the Tibet Cafe where we have one more fruit with muesli and yogurt plus a nice latte. At about 830am we leave Dali, back on route 214 headed North. The road is fairly flat at some distance away and above the lake. Our big breakfast sustains us for about 35km, just as we have left the lake the road starts to climb a bit. John has given us a little route map to Lijiang, we are expecting about 70km today to some hot springs near Eryuan, instead we find the place after less than 50km, just past noon.

For 80 yuan we have a motel style room around a nice warm water pool. The bikes have to stay on the porch, it's a bit tight inside. First, we have lunch in a large restaurant in the hot springs compound. We find a large tour group there and after some confusion and a visit to the kitchen and pantry, we end up pointing at two dishes on one of the tour groups tables. We have a dish with slices of pork and hot peppers, and a dish with sticks of carrot, potato and the vegetables mixed with chunks of fat. We left most of the hot peppers and all of the fat, but the meal was nice over the steamed rice.

Then we take a swim, carefully as there is a sign that says: "bump head with care". The water is warm and actually hot at the infeed pipe. We read and relax the afternoon away, walk into town for some noodles for dinner. A weather front has moved in, there are strong wind gusts and clouds. A few sprinkles but no real rain...yet.

Tonight, one more dip in the pool!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nutella and peanut butter
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hot springs compound...checking in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 7,005 km (4,350 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0