To Glenallen Junction: - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2007

To Glenallen Junction:

This morning we get an earlier start around 8:30am just as Doug and Jenn are getting up. We say goodbye and invite them to visit us in Idaho just in case we don't see each other again.

The road is nice with a good shoulder, the sky overcast. About 1050, we reach a cafe "just in time for breakfast still." We have bacon and eggs. The people managing the place are from Florida. At the end of the day, we drop down to one river, climb up then drop down again and climb up. Rachel is happy to reach the Glenallen Junction. Just before, Patrick talked with a local cyclist that told him about a campground just by the junction, Northern lights. 

We check it out and it's only $12 and showers are two for $5 including a towel, washcloth, soap and shampoo. Much better reception than at the Copper Center campground we'd tried at 44 miles. That campground had been full, the people not friendly except for a man as we were leaving giving us a couple of suggestions; we decide to go on another 18 miles.

The Northern Lights campground is nice, in the back with a chemical toilet and a sink with hot and cold water. The showers ran for 7 minutes "hot water on demand" and felt great. As we set up camp, the weather starts to sprinkle rain. Patrick rides to the town of Glenallen another 2 miles to get hamburger, bread, and cereal. We finally fix the spaghetti with a jar of Ragu sauce, onion and green pepper and a small can of corn that Patrick has carried from Anchorage.

Just as we get in the tent the rain starts again and rains throughout the night. Today is Rachel's mom's birthday. We get into camp too late to call.

Morning, overcast sky
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bear bell observing the camp
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 100 km (62 miles)
Total: 9,926 km (6,164 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0