To Glacier National Park: USA Border and St. Mary's - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2007

To Glacier National Park: USA Border and St. Mary's

The wind blows itself out overnight, but before it did it pushed in some rain showers. 

Just before we rise, a good one moves through. We pack up and move under the picnic shelter to have our breakfast. We don't see Rolf, he came in late last night, after we had already settled in our sleeping bag. He must have decided to sleep in this morning. He will be backtracking towards Calgary now.

As we leave the park, the grizzly and her cubs are not posing this morning, then start the climb towards Chief Mountain and the US border. Most of the way to the border is uphill. We start to see fall colors and have some nice views back towards the lake at Waterton. Too bad the sun is missing today. We stop just before the border and eat our fresh fruit, but we are not asked about it specifically, so we don't mention the rest of the food of ham and cheese that we still carry.

A nice downhill takes us to US 89 and Babb. It's apparent the Montana people spend less money on the upkeep of their homes and roads than the Canadians. They do have more spare parts and cars sitting in their yards though... In Babb we stop at the General Store, just as a rainstorm passes over. Another 10km along Lower St. Mary Lake and we get to the town. We already know we want to stay at the KOA, it's going to be more expensive for sure, but we remember from a car trip a couple of years ago that they have a hot tub!

First, Patrick heads to the Glacier Visitor Center to see if there is any way we can get through on the "Going to the Sun" road that closed yesterday. The news is not good, a temporary bridge that they put in after a rockslide this spring has now been removed and it is not possible to pass. This is about one of the few scenarios that will keep a bike from going on a road. We are ready to skirt a roadblock or dodge a ranger, but a bridge that's out will leave us stranded or backtracking. Cyclists hate to backtrack.

So, we'll have to go around the park which will take us an extra day. We had ridden the Going to the Sun Road from West to East in 1995 on our 5-week honeymoon bike tour.

We ride to the KOA, quickly set up our tent amidst a beautiful aspen grove and head for the hot tub. They have built a new one, larger and also a pool! The hot tub feels so good, we sit as a fierce, cold rainstorm passes over. Then we shower and walk the mile or so back to the main road to have dinner at the Park Cafe. They are closing after tomorrow and things are running out but the bison burger for Patrick and a salad for Rachel along with pie for dessert are excellent.

Back at camp we take another plunge in the hot water before settling into our tent to read awhile before sleep.

Looking back to Canada
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
1995 5-week honeymoon ride including over "Going to the Sun Road". We will miss riding the road again on this tour.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 km (50 miles)
Total: 14,742 km (9,155 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0