To foot of Lalung La: Alt 4475m - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2007

To foot of Lalung La: Alt 4475m

Our room and beds are very comfortable. After the exhausting ride yesterday, we both sleep well and wake up ready for the last push to the border. 

In the morning we filter some drinking water from the well and meet a Polish girl that has been cycle touring through western Tibet by herself on a Chinese made Giant bike. Yesterday she rode all the way from Rongbuk ending the day on two flat tires and without a patch kit. We still have plenty of those and can spare her a set of patches and glue.

As we ride out of Tingri, we can see Everest and Cho Ouy to the South of us. There are some nice reflections in pools at the side the road. We start on asphalt, but about 8km out of town we're back on a bouncy, dusty dirt. Speeding land cruisers and trucks make us wear our Cambodian masks. 

The Kiwis pass us, but we get ahead of them again as they stop for lunch. The first town we pass looks pretty bleak, no Chinese restaurant we had hoped for. We do find a Tibetan place that serves us a 5 yuan bowl of noodles with egg and vegetables. A little later, Johana, the Polish girl catches up with us. She has very little baggage and is a strong rider. She rides with us to the next town where we buy a take out meal at the "Rite" restaurant and hotel!

The wind has picked up and makes our progress very hard, and we make it about another 3 km, then cross a small bridge across the river to get away from the road to set up camp. We have some beer and pop. As soon as the sun disappears behind the hills, it gets too cold to sit outside. We get in the tent. During the night the wind picks up and shakes the tent.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Solar panels
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here come the Kiwis
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We set up camp with the Polish cyclist
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 km (40 miles)
Total: 9,389 km (5,831 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0