To Fairbanks: Go North Hostel - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2007

To Fairbanks: Go North Hostel

We have not been able to get in touch with Janet North, a warmshowers host thinking maybe she was helping with the Fireweed Race or something urgent came up. Our destination today then is the Go North Hostel where Doug and Jenn plan to stay.

Breakfast at the Chevron convenience store is actually pretty good, coffee, yogurt and granola, large cinnamon roll & OJ. As we cycle back past the tent site, Doug and Jenn come our way to take our picture. The anticipation of coming to a large city (and good food) is still there but not as strong as when we have been out without towns or wilderness for days.

As we come close to Fairbanks, there is construction for a short section, then we find the Go North Hostel, run by people from Switzerland. There is an office building, a "cyber space" building with two computers for internet, TV, sitting area and vending machine. Then one large building with a screened in kitchen, showers are 4 minutes/$1 and separate toilets, an outside sink and then men and women rooms with sinks. The beds are in canvas tents on wooden platforms; one for women only, one for men only, two mixed and a teepee. We head for the tent camping area with sites laid out and pick Porcupine. We are just setting up the tent, stringing the clothesline when Doug and Jenn show up and set up next to us.

The shower is instant hot water and, in the women's, area is a hair dryer to blow dry hair...the first time in a long time for Rachel! We check internet, there is a message from Maureen, HR St. Luke's, and Rachel accepts the OR educator position with a schedule of 10 hours 7-5:30 Tues Wed, and Thurs-Fri 8 hours 7-3:30. A start date for a week of General orientation and returning to work in Meridian including in between a visit mom. So suddenly, Rachel feels employed again and now returning to feeling only on vacation rather than an extended trip. The mental shift to now planning and thinking about work and preparing for another shift of reality from being on the road. 

Things change in an instant.

We are told by the German worker at the desk that two Spanish guys want to rent a vehicle from the hostel and drive to Prudhoe bay...we are interested and need to shop for supplies. We walk to Safeway and plans for cooking quickly goes away, there is a Taco Bell across the street from the store. We do shop for groceries but will need to do more later.

When we return to the hostel there is a message from Janet North that she will come to the hostel tomorrow at 9:00am.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just on a hill at the side of the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reaching Fairbanks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 10,505 km (6,524 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0