To Delta Junction: Green Acres RV park - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2007

To Delta Junction: Green Acres RV park

In the middle of the night Rachel gets up, everyone has gone except one camper van and the campground hosts trucks. Such a difference from the zoo when we arrived.

There is more climbing today, still overcast, following upstream of the Tanana River. At a few viewpoints we see some of the Alaskan Range. We talk with two couples from Germany in a Camper van. When we reach the Rika Roadhouse parking lot, they are just pulling out and wave to us.

The Roadhouse is in the Big Delta State Historic Park that is along the river and the Alaskan pipeline. There are circa 1900 log buildings, the roadhouse established in 1904 by E.T. Barnette, founders of Fairbanks; Rika Wallen a Swede ran the place from 1909-1947.

We have bearclaw pastry and rhubarb strawberry pie and coffee; we buy two mugs from the roadhouse (Addendum: 2022, we still have the mugs) and continue on to Delta Junction. By 2pm, we reach the campground in a continued drizzle, pitch the tent and each have a nice hot shower and then do laundry. After 5pm, we cycle another 1.6 miles to the IGA for supplies and eat dinner at the Buffalo Diner. Patrick has a buffalo burger and spicy buffalo chips (potatoes), and Rachel eats a Senior New York Steak Dinner--senior relating to size of portions not age, though she does resemble that as well.

The evening finds the drizzle continuing and us hunkered down in the tent.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rika Roadhouse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 10,970 km (6,812 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0