To Dawson Peak Resort: flat tires and rain - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2007

To Dawson Peak Resort: flat tires and rain

When we arrive at Dawson Peak, we are soaked. 

It rained all through the night, stopping briefly at 7am so we pack up a wet tent. Most of the day it rained or drizzled or felt like it was raining, because it is overcast.

Our first stop is after 20km at Johnson's Crossing, Home of the World Famous Cinnamon Rolls. Our plan is to eat a big breakfast, but there is no full menu restaurant. So we each have a world famous cinnamon roll and coffee. Their rolls are delicious and big. 

We cross the bridge over the Teslin River. There is construction going on with a timed traffic light for the one way traffic. The road is still rolling but with longer intervals and plenty of lakes and follows the long Teslin lake.

The next break is at Mukluk Annie's Salmon Bake. Patrick spread the tent out to dry and called his Oma in Holland. We had both tried calls earlier, Rachel to call her mom, but the connection was bad. Patrick has had a slow leak in his rear tire, and just stops to pump it up every once and awhile and keep going.

We reach Teslin and the trading post just as a downpour starts. They have a well stocked grocery store, Rachel finds fresh mushrooms and frozen hamburger patties for the spaghetti for dinner. We drink a coke, waiting out the storm and take off when it becomes just a drizzle. The Teslin bridge is the longest bridge over a bay of the lake. It is grated and we have to walk our bikes because it also is slippery wet. Patrick pumped up his tire again. There is a big hill to climb away from the Teslin with about 12km to go to get to Dawson Peaks. Then another big downpour hits, the rain stings and the sky to the North is dark.

We arrive at Dawson Peak around 3:30pm still raining. We take a room for $64. The room warms up quickly with the heater and the hot shower warms us up. The bikes are still mostly loaded on the outside porch, so getting on the road tomorrow will be quick. Tomorrow will be a long day in distance 114km planned and uncertain about the road conditions and weather. 

Instead of spaghetti and cooking, we eat in the Restaurant and have their Mexican Combo Meal--beef burrito and chicken quesadillas with rice and salad...and dessert "bumbleberry" pie, raspberry, blackberry rhubarb and apple with ice cream.

The rain has stopped but it's nice to be indoors in a warm room with a view of the lake. Also, since Rachel too has a flat tire, and Patrick's tire needed to be changed just before reaching Dawson Peak, it's nice to have a dry place to fix the inner tubes. After having so many inner tubes in Asia, we now only carry two spare tubes, so it's good to be able to keep up on repairing the flat ones.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Worse surface ever for bikes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 84 km (52 miles)
Total: 12,012 km (7,459 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0