To Columbia Falls: Essex and Isaac Walton Inn No pictures - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2007

To Columbia Falls: Essex and Isaac Walton Inn No pictures

It's another cold, wet night. In the morning we find our tent and bikes covered in snow and ice. The temperature is just above freezing and we are miserable.

We pack up, head back for the shelter and fix some hot coffee and eat a couple of cereal bars. No incentive to do much more than that for breakfast. It's too cold for cold cereal. Patrick has to run hot water over his hands to warm up after packing the tent. All bundled up we continue our ride around Glacier National Park. It's more downhill, with some climbs. We follow the railroad track of Burlington Northern.

Our first destination is Essex and Isaac Walton Inn, an old railroad station, now a lodge, nicely restored and housing a fancy restaurant. We have a second breakfast, eggs, hash browns, toast and huckleberry pancakes. The coffee warms us up. On to West Glacier, we don't bother turning off into the park instead we have a sandwich at the gas station and ride on to Columbia Falls.

The road is very busy and a section does not have a shoulder....not a fun ride. As we ride into town we find a friendly RV park, they do have tent sites too! The sun is shining now, we dry our gear, take a hot shower and set up camp. At dinner time we walk up the hill to town, shop at Smith's store and have a very nice dinner at a Mexican restaurant.

Today's ride: 88 km (55 miles)
Total: 14,910 km (9,259 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0