To Chena Lakes State Rec Area: - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2007

To Chena Lakes State Rec Area:

Being up late, means getting up late, around 9am when we planned to be on the road to make the 1100 appointment for a computer at the public library. Oh well, just another day on the road and how it goes sometimes.

We start out at 10am after saying our goodbyes and start with walking up and out of their steep driveway. We push pretty hard until 11 and we realize there's no way we will be in Fairbanks on time. It's noon by the time we park our bikes and walk into the library. Janet's car with our gear is in the parking lot. A computer is available for us to use. Patrick searches and buys a ticket for me from Boise to Illinois in October to visit mom before going back to work. Rachel says hi to Janet who is working on her laptop then check emails on the computer available, sending out a global 2 paragraph "newsletter" to all in our address book.

Janet unloads our gear from the car and gives us home baked blueberry muffins, the blueberries we picked yesterday on the hillside just below their house. A final goodbye and we are on the road again. 

Today a short distance to the "North Pole". We stop on the edge of town at the Safeway and do major shopping. Patrick calls the warmshowers host we planned on staying with tonight, only to find out he lives 6 miles back toward Fairbanks. He tells us of a campground at Chena Lake just out of town.

We succumb to eating a Big Mac Meal at McDonald's before continuing on to the campground. There is a nice bike path along the road/lake and we find a spot for $10/night. We enjoy for dinner a bottle of red wine, chicken dinner/potato salad from Safeway.

The bugs aren't bad, but the neighbors are noisy.

Heart 0 Comment 0
We say goodbye to Robert and Janet(Addendum: In 2009 they were driving through Boise and stay with us, making us sushi)
Heart 0 Comment 0
2009 Boise ID. Robert and Janet visit and makes sushi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Mike AylingThat's a small one, right?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensAs Rachel remembers from a family vacation in Michigan hearing something similar to this: "This is the single mosquito...all others are married with large families"
Racpat
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 66 km (41 miles)
Total: 10,829 km (6,725 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0