To Cathedral Creek B & B: the end of the Alaska Highway - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 24, 2007

To Cathedral Creek B & B: the end of the Alaska Highway

We have a long day ahead of us so we try to get an early start. Not so easy when it is drizzly and we hear raindrops fall on the tent from the trees around us. Once we crawl from the tent about 6am, it doesn't look all that bad. 

The cloudy skies seem to extend North from here but to the South of us are blue skies and the mountains of the Alaska range are visible. We ride into town and stop in the visitor center at the intersection of the Richardson and Alaska highways. This is the end of the Alaska Highway, Mile marker 1422 is here and there is a monument to prove it. We pose for a picture.

Off then down the road, a long dead straight section starts us off, slightly uphill but no wind fortunately. We are hoping for a breakfast at about 10 miles but the place is closed. So instead we eat two muffins we've been carrying for awhile. The road climbs gradually, every once and awhile a steeper section followed by a short downhill. At one point we cross a wide river over a steel bridge with an osprey nest on one of the supports. The parent osprey makes several flybys while we stand there and take pictures. 

We find the German run Bed and Breakfast slash RV park. The owners are out to Tok, but two people that are staying at the B & B think it would be no problem to camp on their lawn. The RV-parking is an abandoned section of the old highway and clearly would not work for tent stakes.

We both are very tired. After a coffee and cup a soup, we heat some water for a sponge bath, then boil some more water for freeze dried beef stroganoff meal. Bugs are not too bad, but no reason staying outside to get bit, so we retreat in the tent.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A pay phone, Rachel calls her mom
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 138 km (86 miles)
Total: 11,108 km (6,898 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0