To Canmore: bypass Banff - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2007

To Canmore: bypass Banff

The original plan was to cycle to Banff today and then a rest day. We, particularly Patrick, are tired of the Park fees, so we head for Canmore, mostly on a bypass road 1A. (We've been to Banff before on other trips) The morning is cold and fog covers the mountains. We stop in Lake Louise for breakfast then head out. The road is much quieter and through forest, following the railroad but with quite a few hills.

Slowly the fog lifts, the sun warms us and we start to get beautiful view of the Mountain Peaks. Outside Banff we join the main road Highway 1, it's a 4-lane we have a wide shoulder. The contrast from the quiet bypass makes the traffic seem louder. We bypass Banff. The mountain ranges are beautiful, we reach Canmore and stop at the visitors center for camping information and road information of a backroad to Route 40.

The municipal campground is closed for the season. Just down the road is another campground that also tents so we find a site for $25, take a hot shower and walk to town to do laundry. It's too close for the library to close to check internet. Once the laundry is done, we go next door to a microbrewery for a pitcher of Red Elk Amber Ale and hamburgers.

Back at camp we settle in the tent to read, it gets dark early and then the cold sets in.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 14,295 km (8,877 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0