To Burwash Landing Kluane Lake: a rainy day - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2007

To Burwash Landing Kluane Lake: a rainy day

It's still drizzling when we wake up, it pours by the time we get out of the tent. Our strategy is to roll our bikes in the shelter, pack our gear up there and then quickly collapse and pack the tent. We get everything packed up fairly dry, except the tent which is soaked.

For most of the day we ride in the rain. There are some dramatic views of the mountains with storm clouds or a wet shiny road that warrants taking pictures. The dollar and rupiah bills seem to be holding there is a small bulge but the tube stays in the tire. Just the sound of tik tik tik...as the remnant of the bills pass the brake pad. 

The road is pretty bad, more so for cars and RV's than for us. There are dips and bumps due to frost heaving or melting of the permafrost underneath. The gravel sections are still frequent, but not dusty because of the rain. At a viewpoint overlooking the Kluane Rive we rest and dry out our tent. For the first time today we see the sun and it is actually clearing a bit.

A guy in a RV gives us some coffee. The last 10km are nice gradual downhill to Kluane Lake and Burwash landing right on its shore. It's mostly a roadhouse with a cafe restaurant, gift shop and a wind with room "dry" RF camping and tenting is free! 

There is a grassy area with picnic tables where we can pitch. With some blue sky, sunshine and a breeze we dry out everything that got wet this morning. We shower at the lodge ($4pp) and have a dinner there. Kluane Lake is scenic. There are mountains all around, some old buildings and the hulls of wooden boats abandoned on the beach.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 92 km (57 miles)
Total: 11,515 km (7,151 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0