To Big Creek Yukon: love the provincial campgrounds - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2007

To Big Creek Yukon: love the provincial campgrounds

Patrick is awake early as usual, and we are on the road by 7:30. The first 18km go quickly and we are at the Rancheria Lodge in time for breakfast. It has been a while since we've had a full breakfast on the road of bacon and eggs. We visit with the other customers and riding again before 10am.

The road has been flat to downhill and now the rolling hills start again for the rest of the day. The hills are a little lower and not like yesterday where what you thought was the top, wasn't...the top is hidden behind the "what could you see part", false summits. There is one 6-7% grade hill, no wind today, however the dark clouds and storms are still chasing us. The scenery is the same of rivers, lakes, pines and poplars, no animals to see other than a few ducks on the water. Occasionally we hear the screech of an osprey or eagle.

About 1:30, we reach the campground and roll our bikes directly into the shelter, just in the nick of time before the rain starts in a pretty good downpour and stops. We pitch the tent, let the sleeping bags and sheets fluff in the wind over a line Patrick strung up between two trees. We keep warm in the shelter; Patrick starts a fire in the shelter's big cast iron stove and keeps it going throughout the evening. 

The provincial campgrounds provide free firewood.

We can hear the creek and see parts of it from the shelter. Dinner is the rest of the "bear paw' hamburger bought frozen the day before yesterday, mashed potatoes with beef gravy & mushrooms, steamed vegetables of carrots, cauliflower, broccoli finished off with coffee and snicker bars.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 12,200 km (7,576 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0