To Beaver Creek, Yukon Canada: Westmark Inn Campground - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 27, 2007

To Beaver Creek, Yukon Canada: Westmark Inn Campground

Up early, a quick cup of coffee and cereal and we are off. The mountains are not visible this morning. Some others in the campground have already left, so we guess we are "late." The road is "same same but different" because of the great views. Some of the hills are tough today.

We cross the time zone change at 1pm so we lose an hour. We don't go through any US immigration & Customs and a sign says Canadian customs 20 miles. There is a nice area for the Alaska-Canada Border--a Welcome to Alaska with the American flag flying and a nice Welcome to the Yukon with the Canadian flag. There is a bench with a line dividing Alaska and Yukon. We take pictures of course. The last 10kms flattens out a bit.

Not a surprise, there are building thunderstorms on either side of us. We reach Canadian Customs just as a drizzle begins that turns into a huge downpour, rolling thunder and lightening. We wait out the storm a bit, even though town is only 2 kms away. When the rain lets up some we take off and reach "1202 Roadhouse" about 4:30-5pm and have coffee. There is supposed to be an RV park, though it looks more like a truck stop, so we go on to the visitors center. A very nice place and the gal is very helpful. We can see most all of Beaver Creek from here. We go across the street to the Westmark Inn Gas station/convenience store/RV campground. Looks better, the sites only $12 and includes the shower. In the connecting laundry is a computer and internet access--free to guests! We check email, then go to dinner at Buckshot Betty's just almost next door.

The weather clears some...then the drizzles start again.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 88 km (55 miles)
Total: 11,343 km (7,044 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0