To Bao Loc: climbing up to a plateau - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

January 19, 2007

To Bao Loc: climbing up to a plateau

We collect our passports, the lady isn't any friendlier this morning, and we set off. The first part of the ride has a few ups and downs, nothing major until we start the first serious climb up to the plateau that Dalat is on.

The road twists and turns up through jungle vegetation and we start to gain altitude. We stop regularly to drink water, it's hot today. Many trucks and buses pass us, belching black fumes. With still about 15km to go today we reach the high point. There is some road construction going on right at the top of the pass. A couple of barrels with bitumen oil are set amongst burning logs, two men with a dolly and a hot barrel are spreading the tar, behind them a group of women coats the sticky goo with crushed gravel. All by hand.

As we reach the plateau, we see the first coffee and tea plantations. It's not a flat road either and we struggle into Bao Loc. The first hotel appears to be full, at least that's how Patrick interprets the twisting motion the girl makes with her right hand. It could also mean: "I don't want you here!" We backtrack to a restaurant where Rachel also noticed a "hotel" sign, with a much better reception here. A friendly woman shows us a room, brings towels and a big jug of drinking water.

Patrick cleans up and rides further into town to buy some beer, cookies and milk for tomorrow while Rachel cleans up.

We have an early dinner in the hotel Restaurant.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 4,409 km (2,738 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0