Rest Day Phnom Penh: Grand palace - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

January 8, 2007

Rest Day Phnom Penh: Grand palace

Rachel sleeps most of the day and only got up in the evening to try to eat....Deja Vu Indonesia, no appetite, nausea, diarrhea, with the smells from the kitchen of cooking with palm oil in the Bali Guesthouse. She tried to eat chicken noodle soup but only got a few bites down.

Patrick spent the morning after breakfast and a quick check on the internet going to the Grand Palace a couple of blocks away from our hotel. The entrance fee $3 is to the grounds, then another $2 to take in a camera. It's worth it though. Patrick goes into the throne hall of the palace and into the walled enclosure that holds the "silver pagoda" and lots of stuppas and burial places of previous kings. The silver pagoda is called that because the floor is covered with 1 foot square silver tiles.

The walk area is covered with rugs so the round shuffling bus loads of tourists don't wear through them, but in some roped off areas they are visible. Many have come loose; the solution to this is many rolls of clear tape to tape all the edges together.... The palace and pagodas are nice but not on a scale of the Grand Palace in Bangkok. 

After a check on Rachel, Patrick walked to a nearby supermarket to stock up on goodies for our ride to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). Our plan is to leave tomorrow if Rachel feels up to it. After lunch Patrick watched another American football game. John Madden is one of the commentators and has a new catch phrase: "a Boise State type play" in honor of a last second play BSU won the Fiesta bowl with last week!

Rachel gets up to have dinner and feeling a bit better after sleeping most of the day.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monks with umbrella is a comm0n site in Cambodia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0