Rest day Nha Trang: Island tour - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

January 26, 2007

Rest day Nha Trang: Island tour

The thing to do in Nha Trang is to do a tour of the islands. So that's what we have arranged to do. Patrick is still not feeling too well, he wakes up early, nauseated and throws up a little which is confusing as last night he had such a huge meal without problems.

Anyway, a breakfast of fruit, muesli and yogurt is just what Patrick needs this morning. At about 9am, we are picked up at the hotel and guess what! Uschi, the German/French woman we met in Dalat is also on the tour. We are driven to the harbor to board a wooden boat with about 30 others, both Muzungus and domestic tourists and set off for the islands. There is a lot of wind and some good-sized waves which makes for a choppy crossing which can be a challenge for Patrick....

First stop is off the shore of an island about 2 hours from the harbor. We anchor at some buoy and given the option to go snorkeling. The wind is strong though and combined with a very strong current it is not a very tempting thing to do. We watch a few brave souls jump off the boat. After a while we backtrack to some floating villages we saw along the way and have a great lunch. In the back of our boat is a kitchen and a couple of men have been very busy cooking up a large variety of Vietnamese dishes.

On the water we see floating fish farms and the first of the bowl-like woven boats people use around here. We then go to a nearby island with a nice but very busy beach. We rent a beach chair, swim for a bit (the water is a lot cooler than in Thailand) and relax. Rachel tries to snorkel but finds it difficult to look under water and breathe, the same as her first attempt in New Zealand in 1992. The beach is a busy place, but fun to people to enjoy the water. One more stop on the way back at an "aquarium" that most people including us, choose to skip and back at the harbor at 4:30pm. Uschi has to catch a bus to Hoi Ann tonight, so we say our good bye's again.

We have a nice seafood meal at the restaurant just outside the alley to our hotel, same place we had this morning's breakfast.

Uschi
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dessert
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0