Rest Day Luang prabang: exploring UNESCO World Heritage site - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

February 23, 2007

Rest Day Luang prabang: exploring UNESCO World Heritage site

Today we plan to orient ourselves a bit in this city. Luang Prabang is a UNESCO World Heritage site with an "old-city" hemmed in by the Mekong River on the west and the Nam Kan on the east side. In the middle of the peninsula is a hill with a stupa and temple on top.

The old town is full of old French Colonial buildings, lots of temples and the old Royal Palace. The communists took care of the monarchies in Laos but kept the Palace for tourism....

There is a lot to see and we decide to ease into it and not rush to see too much at once. First we have breakfast at the Ja Ma Bakery, nice coffee there! then we walk along the Nam Khan to its confluence with the Mekong. Both rivers are very low, it's the middle of the dry season but there are still boats on the river and plenty of boats and men that want to take us for a boat ride to some caves. We decline.

The afternoon is hot, we enjoy the AC and TV in our room. We also spent time in internet cafe's doing research on our options for China and Tibet.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0