Rest Day Lijiang: exploring Old Town a UNESCO heritage site - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2007

Rest Day Lijiang: exploring Old Town a UNESCO heritage site

We have a mission today--find pants that will keep us warm when cycling over the passes to come.

The day starts with the hotel breakfast buffet of fried or scrambled eggs, museli & yogurt, bacon, pancakes, fruit and pastries. Then shopping. Patrick found pants then we went separate ways--Patrick of course to take pictures of Old Town, Rachel still on the hunt for socks and long pants and we will meet up at the water wheel square. Rachel wandering up from old town discovers the remnants of the local market.

When we meet up at the square Patrick show me the jade ring and says "I got married." His gold wedding ring is in danger of being lost due to his weight loss. There is a wedding ring of his in our garden back home. (Addendum: since this is being transcribed in 2020 anecdotally on our last bike trip Patrick did lose his wedding ring in a stream in Central Asia in 2016, someday to be "my precious" when found).

Lunch is a bit of a disappointment, more that the expectations of baked macaroni didn't match the actual dish at the Rendezvous Restaurant. We sat at the corner table in the corner of the Restaurant. We return to the hotel, do more research on the internet about cycling illegally to Lhasa, without the Tibetan Travel Permit that's only issued with a tour. The Tibetan owner of the hostel said to us "what's the worst that can happen?"

Rachel makes one more attempt at shopping and return to the supermarket and find "women's underwear", long johns that will work for her. We get our laundry back and go out to dinner at the English Pub for one last "Western" meal of Shepard's Pie and Stew for tomorrow begins going into the less travelled areas.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Laundry in the towns stream
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made two of these, leaving one hanging here, and one to take home (addendum: now hanging in our kitchen)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We find peanut butter!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0