Rest day in Whitehorse: sightseeing and housekeeping duties - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2007

Rest day in Whitehorse: sightseeing and housekeeping duties

This morning we organize all our food and make a shopping list. It's amazing to see all the food laid out and that needs to be contained in small bags. We pack it back up and place in the tool shed that Joel & Sarah provided for us to store our gear.

We then head out to the bike path and go to the Salmon Fish Ladder, we see near the path a bald eagle high in a tree. The fish ladder is the longest wooden ladder, and they expect about 600 salmon to make it back up the river.

Continuing on the bike trail we pass the SS Klondike, an old restored paddlewheel steam boat. We leave our bikes parked at the visitors center and walk the Main Street, first to the post office to mail home a lot of paper, books, travel brochures, license plates as souvenirs. We eat at the Rib and Salmon place for lunch. The restaurant is a wooden frame canvas tent structure. The food is great. We share a halibut chowder and a Klondike Klub wrap & fries, making the meal complete with a pint of Yukon Gold, a local beer.

We finish shopping making the rounds to all the shops including Walmart, then head back to Joel & Sarah's. The afternoon we finish packing the food, we have plenty! and our bikes are heavy. At least with food, we know the weight will slowly lighten up. Patrick works on the bikes, Rachel does a bit of laundry, with a washing machine and drier, it goes quickly.

Dinner is Pizza, salad and another pasta dish, Joel invited his sister Claire to join us. Joel has a half marathon tomorrow and tonight ended earlier.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0