Rest Day in Vientiane: Pha That Luang - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

February 16, 2007

Rest Day in Vientiane: Pha That Luang

Today we start off with a tuk tuk ride to the Pha That Luang, a gold-covered large Buddhist stupa in the centre of the city of Vientiane, Laos. Since its initial establishment, suggested to be in the 3rd century, the stupa has undergone several reconstructions as recently as the 1930s due to foreign invasions of the area. It is generally regarded as the most important national monument in Laos and a national symbol. It's the cover picture of our Lonely Planet guidebook, even though the LP thinks it looks like a "gilded missile cluster".

It takes us about an hour to see the thing and it's surrounding temples. We then ride our tuk tuk back to where we hear there is a bike shop run by a Frenchman. Patrick buys a new water bottle (forgot one at a coffee stop on the way to Dong Ka) and a set of brake pads for the front brakes. Patrick has had to replace Rachels with our spares after Hai Van pass. Rachel brakes a lot on the downhill. We shop at a small but well stocked mini market and walk back to the market area.

First, we search for and find, new pillowcases (we forgot to take them off our pillows in Savannakhet when up early to catch the bus). Then we split up, Rachel wanders around the market awhile longer, Patrick goes to PO to mail two more DVD's to Nathan and check up on our email. 

We have lunch again at the Scandinavian Bakery and relax away the afternoon. Dinner is at a nice French-style restaurant on the plaza downtown. We both have onion soup with bread, pepper steak with vegetables and fruit salad for $6USD each.

After hectic Vietnam it's amazing to sit outside like this in a quiet city.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pha That Luang
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checking the price
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0