Rest Day in Tuk tuk: pork and more pork - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

October 28, 2006

Rest Day in Tuk tuk: pork and more pork

Except for a few fireworks at about 9pm, it stays quiet. The hordes of tourists that roamed the streets of Tuktuk in packs seem to have disappeared. It rains again overnight and we sleep well to wake to the prettiest morning yet on Samosir. The sky is blue and the air clean.

We can make out rock faces across the water and see the road that follows the lake from Parapet. After breakfast at our (now) regular place, we get on the bikes for another ride. First we head to Tomok and then continue up the mountain. It's a tough climb and we run out of water after a while. We do make it about 8 km up with an altitude gain of about 300 meters before we turn around and zip back down to Tomak. Making progress on recovery, we may actually be on a bike trip very soon. There are very nice views of the lake today.

Saturday is market day in Tomok. In the alley to the ferry landing it's a busy scene with colorful cloths spread out and women selling mostly small piles of homegrown vegetables and fruits.

Back in Tuk Tuk we have lunch at the Samosir Cottage restaurant and return later for dinner. Rachel has a pork steak for lunch that is so good that Patrick goes for the Weiner Schnitzel at dinner. Can you tell we are obsessing about food?

Our appetites are returning.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0