Rest Day in Ko Lanta: Rest day - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

November 20, 2006

Rest Day in Ko Lanta: Rest day

On the ride into town yesterday, Patrick noticed a French Bakery. We walk first to the left a while, then back, past our hotel and we soon see it. We have scrambled egg and croissant, and fried egg and baguette with OJ and coffee. Our food obsession is being rewarded by Thai food. There is an English Bangkok newspaper that we read while waiting for the food. This is wonderful. We buy one baguette for later to have with Nutella.

On the walk back to the hotel, we buy another small watermelon, then into the local "7-11" for milk, coke, water, chips and cookies. We see gouda cheese and peppered bologna and decide to have this for lunch. Rachel finds yogurt for tomorrow's breakfast. Patrick walks back to the French bakery and gets three wheat baguettes, and we get a ride in a motorcycle with a side cart with a bench (local transport) back to the hotel. We rest until lunch time and eat half the watermelon. It is tasty...especially with the salt!

When we start to get hungry, Rachel makes up the sandwiches and we take the BBQ chips and drinking water to the beach. Patrick decides he wants time alone to finish his book. Rachel walks along the beach circles back to the road and is disappointed there were not many shops. So, she takes the local transport to the main town of Saladan, the mecca for shopping. She is on a mission to find a bag better suited for walking about in towns and carrying valuables, the guidebook, sunglasses etc. She found one for 250 Bt. Then looked for a swimsuit, almost all are two piece bikini, not suited for a 56 year old and being told that she is not "thai size". She takes a local transport back to the hotel; the flip flops have made a blister with all the walking.

For dinner, we walk back to a restaurant advertising fresh seafood, called Funky Fish. We sit under a big pavilion with low tables and lots of pillows to sit on. We had waited until after the earlier rain had stopped, the rain returned with a vengeance while we were eating. The thatched roofs not blocking the dripping rain; we had to move away from the outside tables and still got a little wet from the mist. It was still raining when we finished eating, so we went next door to check email and soon it stopped. We had taken care to bring torches with us and to note the landmarks to find the road back to the hotel. 

Last night we hadn't done that and had quite the adventure. 

We overshot where our road was and aimed for another road. It was dark...we mean really dark! the road was muddy and rutted and we were slip sliding off our flip flops, sometimes losing one in the muck. We both ended up going barefoot. In some ways, it was good it was so dark, and we couldn't see what we were walking in.

We made it back to our hotel, found an outside spigot and hosed our legs, feet and flip flops clean of the red mud.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0