Rest Day in Dali: getting our bike gear from Bike China - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

March 19, 2007

Rest Day in Dali: getting our bike gear from Bike China

As we head out for breakfast, Patrick first calls John, the guide from Bike China who has our box of gear that we had mailed from home in anticipation of going through Chengdu. We had decided that we would not be doing a Bike China tour to Lhasa as Peter couldn't find additional people to make the price reasonable. Whatever we decide on how to go to Lhasa, for the next section of our route we would need a tent. He agrees to come with the box in an hour, so we rush for breakfast.

We return to Cafe de Jack where we had last night's dinner. John is in the lobby when we return. We stay in the lobby and visit with John giving us good information about Tiger Leaping Gorge. We agree to meet later for dinner.

In the afternoon, we hop on Bus #4 to go to New Dali (Xiaguan) The bus stops and everyone has to leave just near the downtown. Lunch is at a Chinese Chicken place and after when crossing the road to Bank China, we spot a KFC. Rachel is still looking for a long-sleeved riding shirt and finds one in a basketball store. Finding #4 bus to return to Dali requires a walk to the bus station, not near where we were let off.

While waiting to meet John for dinner, we sit and watch the crowd at the main intersection. Two blond girls walk by Rachel thinks they are Dutch, Patrick says yes or Danes. John takes us to a local restaurant and orders several dishes after he asks us what we like. We pointed at several vegetables that are on display in dishes. We got a twice cooked pork dish, peas and corn, peas, and mixed vegetables (tiny mushrooms and peppers) with pork and of course, beer. This is a thank you dinner for John from us.

Afterwards, we stop at a local café and have another beer. Then John says he will walk with us part way back to the hotel, his girlfriend manages the Youth Hostel. We stop in and meet her, she shows us around, and consider one morning to come for the breakfast buffet.

Heart 0 Comment 0
John gives us ideas about a route
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have our camping gear back
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0