One more day in Jarkarta: a routine develops - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

October 9, 2006

One more day in Jarkarta: a routine develops

A routine has emerged. Vaguely awake at 4am from the call to prayer, awake at 6am, dressed for breakfast at 7am. Even breakfast is the same, OJ, tea, toast, hard boiled egg. Back up to the room for BBC or CNN news, fruit salad at mid morning.

As routines establish themselves, another need emerges to start interrupting the routines. Today Patrick would like Chinese Food and that also sounds good to Rachel. We ask at the front desk about the restaurant mentioned in the LP. "Pasa Bau", he shows us on a brochure. He says to take a "Bajaj" to quote the LP..."These are noisy, smoke-belching three-wheeled vehicles with a driver up front, a small motorcycle engine below and seats for two passengers behind." Mostly just seen in Jakarta. Patrick negotiates a fare and we are off in the chaotic traffic again. Since being mostly inside Rachel's cough and congestion had been starting to resolve itself.

We are let out in front of a large stone archway with Pasai Baru 1820 on it. It is a large pedestrian shopping mall. Shopping in Indonesia is like a giant sidewalk sale from the Dollar General Stores in front of the legitimate stores. We walk to the end and spot an ad on a corner and finally find the Chinese Restaurant. The food is good!! We also have an orange drink with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We find another Bajaj with a reasonable negotiated fare back to the hotel, back in the room watching TV and reading.

We have dinner in the Hotel Cafe, Patrick tries the mei gorang special. His appetite is returning, Rachel has soup and is slowly improving.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0