Meier's Lake Roadhouse: two grumpy old men - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 1, 2007

Meier's Lake Roadhouse: two grumpy old men

The rain stopped about 6am. We slept until 8 and the sprinkling/mist continued as we broke camp. The tent is on a carpeted area which absorbed the water, the ground sheet is wet and the bottom of the tent and thermarests also are wet or damp.

The sky remains overcast and it sprinkles on us off and on. We reach Tok junction cutoff and stop for hot coffee at a little drive through place. Somewhere today we lost the shoulder the road is supposed to be winding through the Alaskan foothills, views are obscured. We munch on dried fruit and have ham and cheese sandwiches with mustard and mayo, the last of the individual packages Rachel took from the restaurant near the tunnel entrance. Rachel had really missed mustard, ham and cheese traveling through Asia.

Finally we reach the Meier's Lake Roadhouse run by a father and son--two grumpy old men! The campground is in a bad state, gravel pull-in's no tables, small chemical toilet. The water is outside the laundry building which is open. We take showers and decide to do a load of laundry. There is a worker also doing the laundry of sheets from the motel, says he has quarters if "they" (father and son) don't give you any. Patrick comes back with the quarters, but it wasn't easy...even offered to empty the machines for the son when he complained of a bad back and broken ribs.

Rachel is watching the laundry when the owner's son comes and emptied the machines, he wanted to know if whoever took a shower had paid for it...we were unaware of an extra charge and gave him $5 for the shower. Later we ate dinner in the restaurant, the worker was the cook too! Very good hamburgers. We get in the tent, the mozzies are really bad! We've had to wear our face nets.

It's difficult keeping track of time, this truly is the land of the midnight sun--staying light almost all night.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 10,016 km (6,220 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0