Kluane Base Camp: we see a lynx - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

July 31, 2007

Kluane Base Camp: we see a lynx

There is not much worse things for a cyclist than to have to pedal to go downhill....a headwind, the first 40kms today we did just that, though the road is rolling and really didn't have that much downhill. It is a struggle and today it was supposed to be a "short" day and half a rest day...didn't go that way.

We are up at 7 eat only museli bars and coffee for breakfast. The destination is 16km to Destruction Bay for a big breakfast. It's a nice spot, we are invited to join a retired couple at their table. They are from Indiana and ask us lots of questions about cycle touring. The tent is drying in the parking lot as we eat.

Back on the road and into the wind. The road gives us glimpses of Kluane Lake until we reach the Cottonwood RV Park located on a jetty into the lake. The lake is a blue-green, clouds above the mountains but so far no rain. Construction is going on in the next stretch. We have to unload our bikes and go in the pilot car--500 meters, they would let us cycle. At the other end, we reload the bikes and see the Sheep Mountain and visitors center. We stop, don't see any sheep, with the dynamiting of the road construction it's not surprising.

The road shifts at the end of the lake to a crosswind, we cross a bridge then the road angles so we finally have a tail wind!! the last 8 kms to the hostel. First impression of the hostel was not what we expected. The French owner though is friendly, gives us a personal tour of the facilities, building with kitchen, men and women toilets and showers. No real view of the lake, but the mountains are beautiful. Most of the evening we stay in the kitchen and read, it's nice not to have to be with bugs outside or hide from them in the tent.

Four Germans show up to take two of the cabins. They are the "talkative" kind---not a word...until just before we go to our tent and one of them spots a lynx in the bushes outside. We can get within 60 feet without alarming the animal. Patrick thinks he got some good pictures!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 11,580 km (7,191 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0