Aranjaphrapet: towards Cambodia - Racpat Bali to Boise 2006-07 - CycleBlaze

December 23, 2006

Aranjaphrapet: towards Cambodia

At first light, we roll our bikes out of the room. Today is our last riding day in Thailand, just another 100kms down route 33 to the Cambodian border.

The landscape has changed over the last three days, it is a lot drier, flat with larger grassy fields and not a lot of people. The wind is blowing again today, still mostly a crosswind. We plug along with not much to stop and look at, just cranking down the miles, reaching the border town about 1pm and we find the hotel by asking around. The room for 200bt ($6) is up one floor, clean with cold shower and squat toilet. 

After cleaning up we take a souped up tuk tuk to the border market. We were not expecting this huge area with permanent buildings and shops selling just about everything. There are huge bags of clothing, looks like donated clothing that people are sorting and hanging, along large piles of secondhand shoes. Lots of merchandise either coming from or going to Cambodia. Khmers (Cambodian people) push and pull huge carts piled high to and from the border just up the street. 

We buy chocolate wrapped in a fancy "Van Houten" wrapper that turns out to be a rip off. After eating Pad Thai we return to room, rest before venturing out again for our last Thai dinner in the evening market.

When we return to the hotel there is a Hungarian cyclist in the lobby, Thomas is on a month long tour of SE Asia and we'll all cross the border tomorrow.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 3,254 km (2,021 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0