June 25: El Viajano to Caucasia - Bad Tans and Beautiful Legs - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2022

June 25: El Viajano to Caucasia

Brian and I left our gas station hospedaje around 8:15 and rode a short distance to Pueblo Nuevo, where we stopped for breakfast and water. I managed to down two full plates of huevos and plátanos fritos and got back on my bike stuffed and ready for a day of riding. Rain began to fall right as we left the comedor and quickly came down with gusto. It would fall for the next 25km or so, and we quickly became completely soaked. We were grateful for this rainfall though, as we stayed cool while riding and it cooled down the remainder of the day. I did not get any photos though as a result.

The rain slowly cleared as we left Planeta Rica, and we were gradually rewarded with a spectacular afternoon. The temperature was perfect, the road shaded and trending downhill, and the scenery beautiful. We passed by more roadside vendors throughout our afternoon, including about six men who were selling colorful parrots over a quarter mile stretch of road. We slowly dried out as we made our way towards Caucasia, and maintained a strong pace. As a result we got into town slightly earlier than the previous three nights. 

Much of the road looked like this.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
My trusty steed :)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Typical roadside break. The trees are very tropical, with many dropping small fruits over the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rule of thirds, anyone?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Still more cows.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We wound our way into the centro to find a hotel for the night. Caucasia was a chaotic place, in many ways reminiscent of downtown Tijuana but with the addition of hundreds of motorcycles buzzing around. It was clearly going to be a lively Saturday night. 

At one point, Brian and I were waiting at a stoplight and I did a little tally. The percentage of people riding motorcycles and wearing helmets was exactly zero. The percentage of those same people staring at us was approximately 100. We couldn't help but laugh at how much we stick out in some of these off-the-beaten-path towns. 

We went to three different hotels before settling on one a few blocks from the centro. The location was great, but having to haul my fully-loaded bike up three flights of stairs was not. Still, at only 60,000 pesos, or $15 USD, it's tough to complain. Granted there was a loud bar downstairs that would be playing until the early morning, but I brought earplugs and would survive!

We wrapped up the night by going to a chicken restaurant and grocery store before calling in. One of our favorite sights while walking around was a long segmented vehicle towing approximately seven trolly cars in the shape of a caterpillar and blaring sirens. It was full of happy kids and their families, all out enjoying their Saturday night in Caucasia. A feliz sight indeed.

Today's ride: 98 km (61 miles)
Total: 543 km (337 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Emily MenkesFollowing along your adventure and am completely amazed by your strength and bravery! Love hearing your stories! Be safe my friend!
Cuidate!
Emily
Reply to this comment
1 year ago