June 15: Portobelo - Bad Tans and Beautiful Legs - CycleBlaze

June 15: Portobelo

With most of the day to spend in Portobelo, Brian and I had a lazy morning. We enjoyed a breakfast of watermelon and fresh papaya with Osa and Yens, two Danish travelers that would be joining us on the Ave Maria. I also took some time to get some drone shots of Portobelo and to play with the street dog that had befriended us the previous night.

This little gal followed us home from the pizzeria last night and hasn't left our patio since then.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Broke out the drone for the first time to get some shots of the harbor and town. We were staying in the teal building on the left.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hey there!
Heart 7 Comment 0

Around noon we consolidated any gear we would need for the sailboat into one bag each, since the remainder of our gear would be stowed away during our passage to Colombia. We then stowed our bikes at the front desk of the hotel and went into town to make copies of immigration paperwork and stock up on some last-minute supplies that we would need for the sailboat trip.

Latin America's colors never cease to make for great photo opportunities.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Exploring the old fortress.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
A tremendously sweet treat made of dried coconut and a sweetened milk product, called a "cocada."
Heart 0 Comment 0

We would be convening at 6pm to load up the sailboat and begin our journey to the San Blas Islands shortly after 8pm. 

As the Panamanian coast is not renowned for its internet access, I will not be updating the blog for the next few days. I'll check in with family daily via my Garmin inReach and will update you all once in Colombia!

Goodbye Portobelo. You are truly a beautiful town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0