July 26: Laguna de la Cocha to Pasto - Bad Tans and Beautiful Legs - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2022

July 26: Laguna de la Cocha to Pasto

A short entry for today!

Today was perhaps our shortest day on the road, save for our rest days! We awoke early in order to avoid the rain that we had experienced the previous day. Our route would take us up a short, punchy climb and down into Pasto. It was the climb that worried us, as any gain in elevation usually resulted in condensation and rainfall. 

We were out on the road shortly after 8am and made our way up towards yet another páramo. The air soon became thick with fog and light drizzle, so I turned on my rear light and continued ascending. Luckily, the climb was significantly shorter than the previous day's, and I was soon on the other side descending towards Pasto. Blue skies and sunshine slowly started to shine through the clouds. It was such a welcome change from the past few damp days.

Once in Pasto we attended to a few errands. Brian got new tires for his bike, and I scored an awesome Colombia cycling jersey. We alsl befriended four other cyclists at our hotel, all of whom are cycling south to Argentina. We had dinner with Liam, one of the cyclists. Turns out he started his trip at 17 (!) in Alaska and is almost one year in to his trip to Ushuaia. He had so many crazy tales to tell that make our trip pale in comparison.

Our plan tomorrow is to bust out 82km to Ipiales, which will set us up well for crossing into Ecuador the following day. I can't believe that our time here in Colombia is coming to a close, but I am very grateful for the time that we have had. 

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 2,088 km (1,297 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0