DAY 9: Smith Rock State Park to Mitchell: "Happiness only real when shared" - Bad Tans and Beautiful Legs: Summer on the TransAmerica Trail - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2016

DAY 9: Smith Rock State Park to Mitchell: "Happiness only real when shared"

DAILY STATS

Mileage: 65.72

Average Speed: 12.5 mph

Maximum Speed: 34.7 mph

Let me preface today's blog with the view I had waking up this morning:

I could die here a happy man.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After working my way out of the comfortable cocoon, I made myself breakfast and was on the road with Nicole by 8am. And it was HOT. We stopped several times to replenish our water and soak our shirts, and it was still blistering. But the ride must go on.

Just outside of Prineville.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ongoing road construction, along with some gravel patches along the route, didn't phase my bike. Its fat tires and wide stance were excellent. Good job, Novara.

Climbing/sweating up Ochoco Pass. Much more manageable than McKenzie Pass, but tough in the heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The descent from the pass was unbelievable: fast, steep, and beautiful. Unfortunately I was low on water as I started the last climb. I rolled into Mitchell, parched, as the thunder started to rumble over town. And look what I found!

This place turned out to be a true godsend, as you will see.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Turns out, this little refreshment station was put out by Janet, an amazing woman opening up a hostel in town. Even though the hostel wasn't completely open for business, she was letting riders and racers eat and stay overnight. So we found our home for the evening!

It's going to be great to be on a true bed.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Jalet blew all of us away with her hospitality, graciousness, and dedictation to her town and guests. There were 9 other cyclists staying the night, most of them fellow TransAm riders, and she fed us a delicious dinner AND ice cream (the true way to my heart)! Please, if you are going to be staying in Mitchell, stay at her place (The Spoke'n Hostel). She has many more services to come as she fully opens, but as it is it has been a truly memorable experience.

So sweet!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's people like Jalet that make trips like this so remarkable.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Over dinner and throughout the evening, we all shared with one another the trials, triumphs, and sentiments we've had while on the road. It was the first time I've had since starting to do so. We laughed. We cried. We made fun of one another. But most importantly, we felt connected to one another, with the road and our bikes serving as a common bridge between us.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 66 miles (106 km)
Total: 465 miles (748 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0