DAY 48: Farmington to Murphysboro (Illinois): "An average day biking followed by sweaty mosquito misery" - Bad Tans and Beautiful Legs: Summer on the TransAmerica Trail - CycleBlaze

July 16, 2016

DAY 48: Farmington to Murphysboro (Illinois): "An average day biking followed by sweaty mosquito misery"

DAILY STATS

Mileage: 86.69

Average Speed: 11.9 mph

Maximum Speed: 37.9 mph

Today was a very average day. But I'd argue that when something is average, it is often under-appreciated. I most definitely appreciated today.

I left Al's Place by 8am, and made my way through the last of the hills that I now dub the "Missouri miseries." These hills eventually led me down into the flat floodplains of the Mississippi River. The wind was at my face, which made riding a little slow, but at least it helped keep me cool.

Lots of corn and soybeans grown here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I eventually made it to the riverbanks and crossed a bridge over the Mississippi River and entered Illinois.

Just before crossing the river. A word of nor for future cyclists: apparently you can call for a police escort if the narrow lanes make you nervous. I crossed au 12pm on a Saturday, though, and didn't have any issues.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back into Missouri after crossing into Illinois. This is apparently one of the narrowest sections of the Mississippi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yippee! Chester, Illinois, where I crossed, is the home of Popeye the Sailor. Thus the figures of him and Olive Oil.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was in a new state, the skies were beautifu, and I was feeling good.

Making my way through the rolling corn and soybean fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
I found this to be a particularly pretty view.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I got in to Murphysboro by 5pm and went to my warmshower. She just had a place for me to pitch my tent, but I was happy with this. It prevented me from having to pay elsewhere, since those were my only options.

Heart 0 Comment 0

While sweatting up camp (see what I did there?) I quickly realized that my long-forgotten friends, the mosquitoes, were back and wanted to make up for our lost time together. Oh joy.

So, sans bug spray, I remained in my tent. It was sweltering (my hot dinner sitting in my stomach didn't help) and I soon feel asleep, sweaty and bitten up. I woke up around 8pm to the crescendos of insects in the trees around me. They would rise and fall in the span of a few minutes. It was a glorious soundtrack to fall asleep to.

Today's ride: 87 miles (140 km)
Total: 3,258 miles (5,243 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0