DAY 38: Scott City to Larned: "Hypnotic monotony of heat, humidity, and headwinds" - Bad Tans and Beautiful Legs: Summer on the TransAmerica Trail - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2016

DAY 38: Scott City to Larned: "Hypnotic monotony of heat, humidity, and headwinds"

DAILY STATS

Mileage: 120.48

Average Speed: 11.6 mph

Maximum Speed: 19.4 mph

Roberto and I were up and ready to go by 4:15 this morning. As we left our warmshower, we turned the corner only to see a massive bank of eruptive lightning clouds on the eastern sky, about 30 miles away. There was never a moment that lightning wasn't striking the ground or dancing up in the clouds. We both turned back and slept for two more hours before hitting the road to much friendlier conditions.

This view is much better when your aren't cooked by electricity.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It's remarkable how much the scene changes within just a few minutes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The morning was cool and soft, with the clouds hiding us from the sun's rays. This quickly changed, however, when the all-powerful sun baked through this sweet cotton sunshade and began to sear us.

Flat. Kansas is flat. And big.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a break from the heat with Roberto.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing some of the damage from last night's storm.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The heat and humidity were high, and the winds were definitely not in our favor. One blessing, however, is that Kansas has perhaps the best drivers and roads on the trip so far. I've had people on both sides of the road pull off to let others pass me, and about every third driver gives a friendly nod or wave.

It was tough. My butt hurt. I was drenched in sweat. But I made it further than expected, and happily set up in the public park in Larned. I even got a shower at the public pool. What more could I ask for?

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 120 miles (193 km)
Total: 2,546 miles (4,097 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0