DAY 11: Prairie City to Baker City: "Three summits, apocalyptic mosquitoes, and lasagna" - Bad Tans and Beautiful Legs: Summer on the TransAmerica Trail - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2016

DAY 11: Prairie City to Baker City: "Three summits, apocalyptic mosquitoes, and lasagna"

DAILY STATS

Mileage: 68

Average Speed: ? (my computer was reset)

Maximum Speed: 36.5

Today was a tough day. To get to Baker City, we had to cross three separate summits. Because it was cooler, we mosied around camp and eventually got on the road by 8:30. Much more to my liking.

The view riding out of Prairie City. Fun fact: I climbed the highest mountain in the background (Strawberry Mountain)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first summit was immediately out of Prairie City, and once we completed it and descended, we stopped at Austin Junction for some homemade blackberry cobbler. Holy moly was it just what we wanted/needed.

The cobbler got us through the second summit as well. Unfortunately at the top, while waiting for my friends, I was eaten alive by a passing cloud of mosquitoes. Blegh. But the ride up was beautiful, through the Elkhorn mountains. Lots of sights and smells that we would've missed had we been coddled in a car or RV.

Just outside of the first pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So much greenery!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were informed at the cafe in Austin Junction that there was a sPringle about a mile after the fork. Lo and behold, the freshest, cleanest water we've had on this trip!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The third and final summit was longer but more gradual. We met a friendly fellow along the way (the "slowest guy in the west"), and began the 30 mile descent into Baker City. Unfortunately we had headwinds along this part, so there was still work to be done.

Meandering through beauty
Heart 0 Comment 0
Much beauty.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Baker City, I successfully finished section 2 of the TransAm! At this point, I loaded up my bike and went up my friend Kate's house for the evening. She made some excellent lasagna that I happily downed before going to bed in her tent trailer. I'll be dropped off in the same place tomorrow to begin section 3!

Off to the friend's place! Section 3 starts tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 68 miles (109 km)
Total: 616 miles (991 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0