Team Anderson visits the local bike store a time or ten - Three Seasons Around France: Autumn - CycleBlaze

December 5, 2022

Team Anderson visits the local bike store a time or ten

Well, that was a pretty crazy idea!  Why would I want to sign myself up for those nine monthly summaries?  Cull through a thousand photos for the month, pick out some representative favorites, and think of something new and insightful about the experience?  And while I’m still jet lagged?  Forget that!

You were promised something more though and really do I have to bring this to closure, so here are a couple of more focused galleries, easier to think of and compile, and maybe of interest.  This first one was inspired by my work starting a summary for March.  I reread those journal entries  to refresh my memory and was surprised to be reminded that we had three trips to the LBS on the first three days of the tour - surely some kind of record.  I’d forgotten about all three of them.

I wonder how many there will be for the whole tour?  Let’s take an inventory.

March 18, Barcelona. The afternoon before were due to leave town I finally assemble the bikes and give them a safety check, which Rachael’s fails. She has no front brake pads, for no earthly reason. We find a hole-in-the-wall shop a half mile away and I hustle over with a spare set of pads before they close for the day, hoping for the best. They’ve got it ready by 11 the next morning, as promised.
Heart 2 Comment 0
March 20, Tossa Del Mar. in the short ride here yesterday it’s apparent my gears didn’t survive the flight in A-1 condition. We’re pleasantly surprised that such a small place has such a fine bike shop. It’s a real stroke of luck. We just stumbled on the shop on a walkabout, and they’re open for another 90 minutes so I rush back to get the bike. Great shop, brand new, they just opened two weeks ago.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Graham FinchIs 'tosser' used in American English?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchI don’t think so. If it had been though I’m sure we’d have moved on to a gender neutral term by now - tossx, probably.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
March 21, Palamos. Now it’s Rachael who realizes her gears are hosed too, and finds a store for a quick tune-up a mile and a half away. She’s all smiles when she returns.
Heart 2 Comment 0
April 12, Uzès. Jean Paul, the mechanic at the Giant store, does his best to replace the derailleur that I broke on the ride in today by leaning it artlessly against a curb. It’s an 11 speed with a long hanger, which he has not got. He orders one to be delivered the next day, but it’s a no show. He fits on a nine speed he found instead, which holds together long enough to bike to the train station in Nimes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
April 15, Lunel. I called around and found a shop that has the goods and the time, in Lunel. He sets the derailleur on the shelf for when we arrive, which we do the next day on the train from Nimes. He knows his stuff, the trip’s alive again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
June 16, Canturbury. After a clean two months, we check ourselves in for a routine maintenance checkup on both bikes, an appointment we made several weeks ago. Let’s just say we could have chosen better. We stayed in town two days longer than planned, hoping we’d finally get our bikes back in working condition.
Heart 1 Comment 0
August 8, Shrewsbury. We arrive here by train from Conwy, for an appointment to repair my broken tooth. As we leave the train I’m convinced I’ve broken another derailleur on the train, and take the bike in to the Trek store. I’m wrong. The guy makes a few quick tweaks, spins through the gears, and pronounces them well. I’m a dope.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesAh yes, we went to that Trek shop too, in the vain hope they would have a clue about my e-assist. No way, all their ebikes are proprietary sealed systems.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
August 20, Abergavenny. The Trek guy in Shrewsbury may have been too hasty, because there really is an issue with my derailleur. It rubs against the tire in the lowest gear, which works badly in hilly Wales. Gateway cycles agrees to check it out, and I have a pint for luck. It worked, apparently.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Gregory GarceauEven if a nice pint doesn't bring good luck, it still gives you the feeling of good luck.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauYup. You really can’t go wrong.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
October 4, Sarlat. We’re here because yesterday in a freak occurrence the hook on Rachael’s cargonet grabbed and pulled out one of her brake pads. Good thing I still have another spare set of pads!
Heart 1 Comment 0
October 10, Sarlat. Sharp-eyed Susan Carpenter spots this bike shop on our way out of town that we would have just biked past otherwise, so we can see if they’ll look at Rachael’s unresponsive shifter. They will, and they’ll replace the broken cable for her. Thanks, Tous en Selle! Thanks, Susan!
Heart 1 Comment 0
October 23, Limoux. Does a friend’s garage count as a trip to the LBS? It does when it’s successful at least. It was great to have Rich adjust Rachael’s gears, something she’ll (wisely) never let me try again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
November 30, Nice. In a last minute rescue, a burly motorcycle guy partners with a can of WD40 to wrest the handlebar stem from the frame so we can pack for home.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Gregory GarceauThe owner of Napalm Bike must be an "Apocalypse Now" fan. I am too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraThank goodness there are people out there that know about fixing bicycles.....especially when you need them!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago