Looking back - Three Seasons Around France: Autumn - CycleBlaze

December 3, 2022

Looking back

The Basics

Nine months is a long time!  We couldn’t have imagined ourselves hitting the road for this long at one stretch when we first went vagabond.  The 4-1/2 months we started off with then (Dubrovnik to Barcelona, with a month in Taiwan tacked on at the end) felt like an epic adventure and really pushed our limits.  We were ready to be home at the end, and in fact came home from Taiwan two weeks earlier than we’d planned.

Last year’s long tour, the two-parter from Minneapolis to Rome, was a full five months though; and though by the end we were ready for a break, it was as much about the onset of the rainy season as homesickness.  Nine months though!  That’s a real quantum jump for us.

Well, let’s not exaggerate and over-glorify it.  It was really only 8-2/3 months.  We had another 10 days to play with but when we planned this it didn’t make much sense to stay until mid-December just because we could.  Might as well head home when it gets too cold so we can return sooner.

So how did it go?  First, a few essential metrics:

  • Total cycling distance: about 7,500 miles (12,000 kilometers!)
  • Total cycling elevation gain: 400,000’
  • Countries: 4 (Spain/Catalonia, France, England, Wales)
  • Miles walked (Rachael): 900
  • Accidents & injuries: none of consequence
  • Illnesses: Scott: 4 days in Brittany, 4 in Provence
  • CycleBlaze meetups: 12 (in order of first appearance: Rich & Robin; Susan, Suzanne and Janos; Keith; Janice & Barry; Ann & Steve; Steve & Dotie)
  • Significant mechanical issues: 1 (broken derailleur)
  • Lost/broken objects: 2 pair of glasses, a wallet (found), a forgotten iPad (recovered)
  • Image count: 12,000 (that’s the number stored on my iPad when we left for home, not including at least twice as many that were purged along the way).
  • Stays (towns we overnighted in): 133 (50 in Spring, 38 in Summer, 45 in Autumn)
  • Days Ms. Exercise Addict went without any significant exercise: 12
  • Trips to the LBS: tbd, still inventorying
  • Flat tires: zip, zero, goose-egg, nada!!!

We still can’t quite believe that last one.

As a visual, here are composites of the actual routes we cycled:

Spring: Barcelona to Calais.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Summer: Dover to Plymouth
Heart 0 Comment 0
Autumn: Roscoff to Nice.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It wasn’t all bicycling, as you can see from the gaps here and there in these maps.  The exceptions:

  • Suburban train from Barcelona to Blanes, an excellent way to avoid riding out of the city.
  • Train from Perpignan to Narbonne, to avoid some heavy rain (we’re such fair weather wimps!)
  • Train from Nimes to Lunel (broken derailleur)
  • Ferry from Calais to Dover
  • Train from Ulverston to Conwy
  • Train from Conwy to Shrewsbury (to repair a broken tooth)
  • Train from Bridport to Exeter, and again from Exeter to Plymouth (it’s that rain thing again)
  • Ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff
  • Train from St. Malo to Angouleme
  • Train from Perigueux to Les Eyzies (Rain again!!  Why does this keep happening to us?)
  • Train from Millau to Limoux (to meet the Fraziers!)

We biked everything shown on the maps though, so over the course of 8-2/3 months that’s pretty good.  Roughly one day a month on average where we primarily traveled by other means than the bike.  

Impressions

How does it feel, ah how does it feel?  To be on your own, with no direction home, like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone

Nine months is a long time!  Staying in 133 different hotels, guest houses and B&B’s in 260 days (almost exactly once every two days on average) is a lot of unpacking, settling in, orienting yourself to a new layout, finding your way to the bathroom in the dark in a strange place, remembering the ill-placed sill or step you might trip or break a toe on, figuring out how this coffee maker or shower or lighting system works, finding a restaurant, going to the store, consulting tomorrow’s weather forecast, plotting out and loading the next day’s ride or walk.

So how does it feel?  It feels great to be here in our apartment in Portland for ten whole days, and to look ahead to an entire month in the same place in Tucson later this winter.  After nine months of all of the above, we’re both ready for some stability.  Truth be known, we’ve been easing that way for the last few months and gradually revising our plans here and there so we could stay in places longer and get a mini-break from the flux.  It’s hard to say, but I doubt that we’ll take on quite such a long, unbroken itinerary again.  This was pushing it.

We could be on the road again for this long though, but not quite in the same way - certainly there will be the ‘normal’ three month tours such as we’ve undertaken in the last several years (the flight for next spring’s tour is already booked, btw) but I’m pretty sure that for anything very long we’ll build in longer stays to let ourselves settle in, relax, take day rides and walks, get some space from each other, and maybe even (gasp!) take a break from keeping up the blog every day.

So that’s one way it feels.

Another way it feels is that we’re getting older, and we just don’t have the reserves and strength now that we had not that many years ago.  When we look back on our trips to the French Alps and the Pyrenees we really can’t quite believe we pulled them off.  At the end of 35-40 miles on the road now we’ve often had enough fun for the day.  Pretty well gone are the years when we would bike hard all day and have the energy or enthusiasm for exploring the place we just worked so hard to get to.  It’s one of the reasons we’re gradually building in more multi-day layovers, so we’ve got something left to look around with.

It’s a balancing act that so many of us are experiencing as we age - we want to do and see more, but we have the capacity and drive to do less. We know time is running out on us and we want to make the most of what’s left us while most of the moving parts still work, but we want to pace ourselves so that it’s all rewarding and not turning into an office grind.  And in today’s world, there’s the agonizing reality that between technological changes, overpopulation and climate change the world is all rapidly changing before our eyes and we want to see or revisit places that we know will be significantly different in the years to come.

We still feel like rolling stones, but we need to roll a bit slower as time goes on and pick up some moss along the way.  

But back to the tour itself - how was it, really?  Was it good for us, what places did we especially like or dislike, were you glad you went?  

It was extraordinary, cover to cover.  Oh, my gosh.  So much happened in these nine months.  One of the best years of our lives.  It brings tears to my eyes to think back on it all - day after day of one stunning experience or place of beauty after another that we hadn’t foreseen and couldn’t have imagined.

It was interesting flying home Thursday - a moving experience, I guess you could say.  Until the battery on my iPad finally ran down and the screen went black I started working through those 12,000 images, preparing them for backup and removal from the tablet in preparation for what’s next.  My general approach is to begin at the beginning and create individual albums for each stopover of the tour - one for Barcelona, one for Tossa del Mar, one for Palamos, one for the next town I can’t remember the name of, one for Cadaques, one for Figueres, and then over the Pyrenees and on to France.  I cull through each of these, looking for duplicates or uninteresting ones I can just delete.  Each of these folders then will be transferred to its own file folder on our backup device back home.

It’s an overwhelming experience looking back through all of these images from the last nine months.  That happened!  That happened!  How could I have forgotten about this unbelievable place or event!  I keep interrupting Rachael to show her something magical that I’d forgotten about, but she’s immersed in the stream of movies that gets her through a flight and doesn’t want to be interrupted.  It feels like we’ve had a whole lifetime’s worth of experiences in these nine months.

It’s too much to reflect or comment on as a whole.  In the middle of sorting through the photos I realized I want to say a longer goodbye to this tour, and granularize the retrospective a bit.  I’ll create a separate post for each of the nine months, and pick out fifteen or so photos and a few videos from that month to reshare with you, to remind you and ourselves of just why just that one month was such an amazing time of our lives.  First up, March: Catalonia.

So feel free to stop here, because if you’ve been following along the whole time you’ve seen it all before.  Nothing new to see here, folks.  But, if you’re at all like me, you might have forgotten a thing or two and would enjoy being reminded.  It’s wet and gray and cold up here in the winter, after all.  Might as well turn on the tube and watch the re-runs.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 16
Comment on this entry Comment 41
Kathleen JonesWell done, kids. Thanks for the hours of vicarious thrills.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltIt was a marvellous tour! Thanks for the journal!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraWelcome home. As always, a fantastic journal, inspiring images, and excellent writing. Thanks for sharing your adventure. I'm feeling a sense of loss now that your trip and journal are complete.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/Grampies Nicely written reflection, and good work putting all the tracks onto single maps. I am planning to go back and create such a map for each of our past trips, because we can no longer remember the answers to questions like "When were we in Lyons?" despite all the struggle we may have done to reach there on several occasions.

It's also admirable that you sort through the photos and organize them after the fact. I have accepted that if a photo, however good, does not make it to the blog, it is basically lost to the world, jumbled into a USB drive with all the out of focus and uncaptioned riff raff.

The blogs themselves are interesting entities. We often find ourselves re-reading one, amazed at the clever writing and at the adventures described. But is the blog equivalent to a book, something that someone may find and enjoy years from now? And even if so, do we care?

Well these are the type of thoughts we may have when stuck back here in the rain and gloom, instead of out on the glorious road. But I will be clinging still to Cycleblaze, watching for your next entry!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonThat was a fantastic nine months indeed! I'm looking forward to the recaps. My poor memory will be glad to be reminded of all the places you visited.

" ...we want to do and see more, but we have the capacity and drive to do less."
When planning or reflecting on every trip, I am always very aware of the fact that we are getting older. I ask myself what are we still up to, will we be able to do that same or a similar trip next year? So we adapt and make allowances for our aging bodies (and minds).
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsI'll miss the daily doses of The Continuing Adventures of Team Anderson. It'll also be weird to be two or three hours ahead of you rather than six to nine behind you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauMy head is spinning from all those amazing statistics. Twelve thousand photos is a statistic that really stands out. And I can understand your reluctance to name the very best of the best from your tour, so I'll do it for you. MY favorite part of your tour was the part in the amazing, view-blockerless Lake District of Great Britain.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Carolyn van HoeveTo Steve Miller/GrampiesBe assured that people will and do find these journals years from now. I for one am still discovering and enjoying journals on here that were written way back. And what's more they also provide valuable and useful information if planning a similar trip. So some of them are scrutinised in great deal and read over and over. I've very grateful to all of you who take the time and effort to write about your journeys. It's opened up a whole new world for myself.
That was such a well written and thoughtful summary Scott!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezYou always wrap your journals up so nicely. I had to be sure to come back and read this page.

Where are your tickets to in the spring?

Are you at the same airbnb in Tucson as last year, or something new?

Welcome home!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchAnother number: I wonder how many hours you spent writing the journal. You deserve a medal.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezWell, a few folks already know, so there’s no harm in making it public. We’re going back to Italy in the spring. We’ll spend the first 4-5 weeks in Sicily again (we already booked our lodging, because it’s around Easter so we wanted to be sure) but after that we don’t have a plan yet other than to fly home from Bologna up in the north.

We’ll be in Tucson from 12/29-1/29. It’s a new place for us, but a neighborhood we’ve stayed in before - on W 4th, over in the Dunbar Springs neighborhood. I don’t remember - will you be down for any of that time?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchThanks, Graham. It’s a good question, and I could probably count posts and SWAG a number, but I don’t think I want to know.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Gregory GarceauThe Lake District was pretty wonderful alright, as were the Yorkshire Dales and Wales. It’s country that would really work for you, I’ll bet. I hope we get another look ourselves some year.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsThe time change is strange for me too - for myself of course, but it’s a little disorienting seeing when comments filter in now.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI’m so glad I’ve been doing this. When I was younger I prided myself on being able to replay the entire tour, remembering every stop and some detail of each place we stayed - where we parked the bikes, typically. It’s how I would put myself to sleep when I had insomnia - better than counting sheep.

It doesn’t quite work any more though. To many places and too many years have gone by. I tried that on the plane after the iPad died and I needed something to do, trying to list out every place we stayed for the last nine months. If I didn’t write it down, it would be gone.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Scott AndersonFor some time I have followed a Swedish guy on Youtube, named William Taudien. He has traveled and video blogged all over the world, but not by bike. In a recent entry he muses about why he is travelling, and also about why he is documenting it. You might be interested to have a look. He grows philosophical at 1:09 of the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_vDKT9BoE
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Annette SchneiderScott & Rachael: Your daily journal will be missed; it was a morning ritual... coffee with your daily report.. all the great photos, videos and commentary. Looking forward to more! Best to you on recovery to life stateside.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonYou wrote "When I was younger I prided myself on being able to replay the entire tour, remembering every stop and some detail of each place we stayed". That's an amazing feat.

By the middle of the second week of my trip this summer I sometimes had problems remembering in the middle of the day where I had started from that morning or where I was headed for the evening. Although the text of my daily entries generally helped establish those facts, the titles didn't tell the story of where I was or had been.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Angela NaefOnce again I loved following along! Thank you both for all the effort you put into sharing your adventures.

Are you still happy with you radar tail lights?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks, Bill. Sorry we ended up with a pretty low critter count on this one. We’ll try to do better next time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenWhat a wonderful wrap up. We both loved following along. You expressed so well many of our thoughts. The fact that the air travel, no matter how well it goes is often the most tiring part of the trip. In our case, the fact that we didn’t discover bike touring earlier. The wonder and joy of being on the road, on a bike. The hope that we can continue to do it for many more years, but the certainty that we might have to do it a bit differently. Just not yet we hope. We will continue to check for any updates or Portland adventures. Welcome home! Well done.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Scott AndersonItaly sounds like an excellent choice!

Yes, I will be here most of the time you are. The stars align once more! I hope we can get together.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezVery cool. Also, we changed our plans and will be stopping at Borrego Springs for 4 nights on the way down. Weren’t you thinking of going there?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Scott AndersonJacinto decided on two weeks in Palm Springs. I told him if he gets bored staying in one place the entire time, it’s on him!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Angela NaefI love mine and wouldn’t want to be without it. I also have a Garmin edge 1030 plus and it pairs with the light so I can see on the Garmin when there are cars behind me and how close, it Aldo beeps when cars are approaching. I lost my mount several weeks before the end of the tour so Scott let me use his so he didn’t have one. As soon as we got back I ordered 2 new mounts that look like they should be less likely to come off. I lost mine when we were in a hurry to unload everything and as soon as I realized it I went looking but couldn’t find it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Kelly IniguezThat would be great!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Kelly IniguezI hope you have a wonderful time! I look forward to reading about it!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensThanks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Keith AdamsI have the same problem with remembering where are started the day and where we are going to. It doesn’t help that Scott has created all the routes. Oh well, it helps me focus on the experience instead!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Kathleen ClassenThank you! I look forward to reading about your next adventure! Have a great winter!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThanks for following along! I’ve really enjoyed all your great comments and hearing about your past travels in Europe!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Rachel and Patrick HugensThanks! I look forward to following your Morocco to Holland trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
George HallCongratulations on completing an amazing tour! It was fun to follow along, and many of us are jealous of the places you have been and things you have done. You did an excellent job of expressing how many of us feel when completing a long tour, and you have inspired me to work on planning my next adventure. Can't wait to follow along with you next year.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Emily SharpThis seemed like a very successful tour, and it's always nice to be in that space of having the sense of accomplishment but also looking forward to the future. It seemed like England and Wales were really nice surprises and France a pleasant confirmation of past experience. Would you consider any touring in Central or Southeast Asia or Northern Africa going forward? Or any other non-western countries? With England and Wales such a nice surprise, are you considering any more tours of places that are new to you instead of old favourites?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Angela NaefTo Rachael AndersonThank you for the reply. We are ready to purchase and noticed Scott’s light had disappeared in the videos. Your information is very helpful. You guys really put things to the test! We are hoping to ride in Italy or France at the end of April, May and part of June. Thank you again for the inspiration and all the great information you share.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo George HallThanks for the comment, George. It really was an excellent adventure top to bottom, better than we’d hoped.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Amber StarfireLovely reflection and recap of your incredible adventure. I actually teared up reading it. And, since I'm one of those who didn't get around to reading all your blog posts, I'm looking forward to the monthly highlights.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Angela NaefThat’s very observant to notice my light had gone missing! I definitely noticed its absence and will be glad to be carrying it again.

I’ll be interested to see where you’re going next spring if you make it to Italy, because that’s our destination too. Pretty big country, but stranger things have happened than to have our paths cross somewhere.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Emily SharpYup, it was all good. The UK was much better than I’d imagined, and I hope we get a chance to return some summer. And France of course is hard to quarrel with. I’d say about 2/3 of our experience in France this year was new to us, which is of course a wonderful thing about bike travel - you don’t use a place up because you’ve zipped through the whole thing with a car. There are large parts of the country we’ve not really explored.

We have looked at South America, China, Thailand and South Africa so many times over the years, and have had pretty serious, detailed plans on the table for some of them more than once. I think at this point in our lives though none of them are likely to happen. If we were going to have done so it should have been when we were a decade or so younger. I do hope we can get back to both Japan and Taiwan though.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Angela NaefTo Scott AndersonIt would be fun to meet up at some point. If we do go to Italy, we would start in Sicily to see Elvis. He is a young man that worked with us about 7 years ago. Not a very Italy name, but apparently his parents were fans. So if we both end up in Sicily the second half of April it could happen!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago