The Inbetweeners - Riding Slowly South - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2021

The Inbetweeners

Not Riding Yet

Well, we've left home and are in between living at home and bicycle touring, wandering through SW Qld, heading east to start the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail in a week or so. We've just spent a few days at Possum Park where we had to hide in the car at night due to the mouse plague that is plaguing (ha ha) western Qld. I can handle the mice dying in the walls and ceiling of our house and running across the road, driveway, footpaths throughout town; but I draw the line at mice running up my legs while I sit in the camp kitchen editing my photos. Shouting and jumping was involved.

Possum Park is an old WW2 ammunition storage facility. Some of the bunkers are tourist accommodation. Others, such as this one, are in original condition.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nightly campfire circle, for the sharing of stories both tall and short.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The latest accommodation at Possum Park: a Vickers Viscount.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watching the Tour de France in the railway carriage games room. Yes, there were mice everywhere in here too.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We also spent one very soggy night at the Bunya Mountains National Park, where we reneged on a second night because we had been very entertained by the sight of everyone getting bogged as the campground degenerated into mud until we realised that we stood a very strong chance of getting bogged too and that wasn't what we wanted, thank you very much.

Rain coming in at Bunya Mountains.
Heart 5 Comment 0
My breakfast buddy.
Heart 3 Comment 0

He's a Bush Turkey.

Time to go.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We've done a farewell visit to my family's farm and some of the multitudes of family members, drinking innumerable cups of tea and coffee along the way.

By the end of the week we will have caught up with the rest of the family and will finally be on two wheels, finding out just how unfit we really are and finally starting the next stage of our adventure.

Winter sunset and cattle.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0