The Inaugural Push-a-loaded-bike Road Race - Riding Slowly South - CycleBlaze

August 1, 2021

The Inaugural Push-a-loaded-bike Road Race

Nanango to Kingaroy

Forget those wussy Olympians or the pretty boys who tootle around France once a year: the really heroic cycling happened today on the little-known back roads across the hills and valleys of the South Burnett. It was here that Team Hacquoil fronted up for the inaugural push-a-loaded-bike road race, and along the way conquered their own Mont Ventoux.

The race started early with a high speed departure from base camp at the Homestead Caravan Park.

Our two riders formed a peleton and began a time-trial pursuit of each other through the idyllic paddocks around Nanango, the occasional whiff of roadkill encouraging an extra burst of speed.

Spectators ran along the barriers and cheered wildly as the race rolled by.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Art installations lined the route, there to inspire and encourage should the riders flag.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The breakaway pair made the most of the flat(ish) terrain, all the while negotiating rural traffic with aplomb.

Cruelly, the race was set to finish in Kingaroy which is separated from Nanango by forbidding mountain ranges.  It wasn't long before the intrepid cycling pair had to forego cycling and take to pushing, each hill becoming bigger until they were face to face with the formidable mountain that would henceforth be known as Kingaroy's Mont Ventoux.

The wall awaits.
Heart 4 Comment 0

An epic battle for King of the Mountain ensued, played out in slow-mo with much puffing, panting, and grimacing.  A gentle breeze raged, cattle bellowed in the paddocks alongside the course, blue wrens twittered and fluttered beside the struggling riders nay plodders, and Catherine eventually took the polka-dot jersey by a gasp and a whimper.

And she's made a breakaway and is going for the top...
Heart 2 Comment 0
...while Roger gamely persevered to rejoin the peleton at the summit.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The final stage of the day saw the plucky pedalers time-trialing along the Kingaroy-Cooyar road toward the finish line at Peppertree Cabins.  Challenges were still flung their way with unexpected gusts of eau-de-roadkill and persistent traffic, but they were more than equal to the task and powered on to a well-deserved lunch break.  Race clock was temporarily stopped while the combatants ate their vegemite sandwiches and watched gliders practicing taking off and landing at the airport opposite.

Vegemite. Om Nom Nom.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Roger made an unexpected charge in the final minutes and took line honours at the Peppertree Cabins, gaining the privelege of checking in and getting a head start in the unseemly dash for first post-race shower.  Race over, Team Hacquoil settled into their cabin and enjoyed a dinner of all the things that can't be had on the race, such as hot chooks, fresh vegetables, and ice cream.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 219 km (136 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierHilarious!! Great writing!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago